Developed Distortion In Tweeters

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The treble level was set to 6+ with the Generic HT package speakers I had up before the Fluance's and I forgot to set it back to 0. I don't think that that should have caused an issue, unless that is considered some type of a gain, but even then the Fluance's didn't even sound slightly the least bit strained.

The Yamaha Receiver is almost 10 years old and was gifted to me. It spent time in a garage system setup for a while before changing over to my hands.
OK that's what blew them. Every 3 db of gain in the HF doubles the power to the tweeter, so you put four times the power to the tweeter at +6. Tweeters are the most fragile part of a speaker and the easiest to blow. So you need new tweeters.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yep. Not as bad as some YouTube stuff. I normally watch cable TV and BR movies at -20. For YouTube via app, I have to turn it down to -35 to -40. -14 would blow my speakers, likely not but it felt like it might..
I also am very cautious with Youtube playback! I have heard a surprising number of videos with serious distortion in the source. If I ever hear that, I turn the volume down low and/or stop that video.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
OK that's what blew them. Every 3 db of gain in the HF doubles the power to the tweeter, so you put four times the power to the tweeter at +6. Tweeters are the most fragile part of a speaker and the easiest to blow. So you need new tweeters.
That's where I'm leaning towards as well. Tone controls seem to cause more problems than they fix. It's a shame speakers are seldom built with tweeter protection anymore.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My experience varies a bit but some of the highest levels I have are from the apps built into the avr rather than external sources....
I did mention "App". So we may actually be sharing the same (except the CD player part) experience.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Ok here is the DL. I picked up a pair of Fluance SX6's on Cyber Monday for $109 for the pair. I was originally looking at the Pioneer BS-22's originally, but after watching the multiple reviews that Z Reviews did on the Fluance, I was sold on them.

I've been listening to them for a couple of weeks now with no problem with a Yamaha RX-V367BL powering the pair. On Christmas Eve I was listening to some Hi Res jazz music on Youtube at -14db without issue, but come the next day I had buzzing coming from first one speaker, but then eventually both speakers developed distortion at the extreme high frequency range, such as certain cymbals etc. With that being said, it only starts to distort after on after about 5-10 minutes of listening. Z Reviews was able to push the speakers considerably harder than what I could hope to ever get away with in my home.

My question is, would -14db of volume with a 100 watt per channel amp, (set to drive 8 ohm speakers), create enough of a strain on the tweeters to cause them to start to fail?
It's distinctly possible that the speakers could have been defective in the first place. It Happens.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's distinctly possible that the speakers could have been defective in the first place. It Happens.
Though possible, I wouldn't think it likely that both speakers would have the exact same fault.

Agree with the likelihood that the +6 Treble Boost is to blame.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Though possible, I wouldn't think it likely that both speakers would have the exact same fault.

Agree with the likelihood that the +6 Treble Boost is to blame.
I've never heard of destroying a tweeter by turning up the treble. The only way I have ever damaged a tweeter was when rewinding a reel to reel tape and the mute on the tape machine was defective.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
On Christmas Eve I was listening to some Hi Res jazz music on Youtube at -14db without issue, but come the next day I had buzzing coming from first one speaker, but then eventually both speakers developed distortion at the extreme high frequency range, such as certain cymbals etc. With that being said, it only starts to distort after on after about 5-10 minutes of listening. Z Reviews was able to push the speakers considerably harder than what I could hope to ever get away with in my home.

My question is, would -14db of volume with a 100 watt per channel amp, (set to drive 8 ohm speakers), create enough of a strain on the tweeters to cause them to start to fail?
As I mentioned before, "Youtube at -14 dB.." could be the issue, potentially as some of the contents were recorded at very high level. Can you post a link to what you were listening so I can find out if it could be the issue?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've never heard of destroying a tweeter by turning up the treble. The only way I have ever damaged a tweeter was when rewinding a reel to reel tape and the mute on the tape machine was defective.
Forgive my clumsiness/imprecision.
The signal-source conversation and the +6 boost conversation go hand in hand may very well have been a perfect storm that could have pushed the tweeter beyond its ideal operating parameters.
To be fair, none of us were their and this is speculative. ;)
But, consider please that a questionable source signal that may already contain some distortion is then pushed through his system at an additional 4x the power... I would expect that to have a similar effect as if he had a clean signal to start yet was clipping in his amp.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
But, consider please that a questionable source signal that may already contain some distortion is then pushed through his system at an additional 4x the power... I would expect that to have a similar effect as if he had a clean signal to start yet was clipping in his amp.

With that being said, it only starts to distort after on after about 5-10 minutes of listening. Z Reviews was able to push the speakers considerably harder than what I could hope to ever get away with in my home.
The only thing that throws a flag against it being a blown tweeter for me is that it doesn't appear right away. With it taking a few minutes before it occurs I'd think some issue with the amplifier section after it has warmed up before I'd think blown tweets.

OP, have you checked them on your brother's system with a different amp yet?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
How are you fixings issues have you tested the speakers with another receiver ??

Reptilians invading in year 2025
Tesla spoken to them

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis