Desktop 2.0 Stereo Speaker Advice

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
I am not sure about the cables. Just thought I read that somewhere when I first got them last year sometime.

This from jblpro.com: "Selectable Input Sensitivity - The -10 dB/+4 dB sensitivity switch ensures compatibility with a broad range of signal sources, allowing you to connect the 3 Series to high output professional gear without any danger of input overload."

And this regarding the other thing I sort of remembered, albeit for much longer than I recalled: "JBL Professional Reliability - Prior to becoming a production-ready design, each 3 Series model is subjected to JBL’s tough 100 hour power test, in which the speaker is required to play continually at full output for 100 hours without failure. This demanding test ensures your 3 Series speakers will deliver years of reliable performance."

I don't find that extraordinary for testing a design before being put into production.
Thanks for your input MrBoat. What I said above about cables, I meant for my system alone. Cables CAN cause hiss occasionally for some systems, and to solve that sometimes all you need are balanced cables, but not when there is a ground loop like I have.

I read that same thing on JBL's website about the input sensitivity. Problem is, I don't know if my DAC is a high output device or not. I also read on some threads that all you need to do is match the input sensitivity of your monitors with the input sensitivity of your source, but when I go to the manufacturer's website for my Micca Origen DAC, there is no specification for input sensitivity. If you look at the specs of most audio interfaces, you will see it, but maybe DAC's don't list that information because it is non existent, I don't know.

I am glad though that JBL puts there monitors through such rigorous testing.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
probably cheapest balanced dac/headphone amp right now you could get is behringer umcxxxHD line.
Now my limited research, including bugging gearslutz concluded that only umc404hd has real balanced outputs. Lower models just use cheap trick using one resistor for balance line.
I recently got my (new, damaged external box) on fleebay for $80.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I never have had ground loop, or any electrical problems and I have lived in homes that still had knob and tube wiring. OTOH, I have always had minimal, modern, electrical/electronic conveniences and have lived in dated homes. This home is the newest I have ever lived in and it was built in the later 60's.

So, what gives, with all this loopy ground business?

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
I never have had ground loop, or any electrical problems and I have lived in homes that still had knob and tube wiring. OTOH, I have always had minimal, modern, electrical/electronic conveniences and have lived in dated homes. This home is the newest I have ever lived in and it was built in the later 60's.

So, what gives, with all this loopy ground business?
You got me... I can't figure it out. Like I said before though, if I just hook up a ground isolator, it all goes away.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis