Designging two 8ohm drivers to equal 8ohm?

R

Rufes1

Audiophyte
Hey all,

This is my first post so a hello to all.

Im designing a set of bookshelves using a woofer and tweeter.

I have built other speakers before but never had to play with the impedance/resistance.

Using 2 8ohm drivers the overall impedance is ofcourse 16 or 4

What I was curious to know is if you can chuck in a resistor either in series with the woofer or tweeter? or in parallel?

Or will this consume too much and be a total waste?

Thanks again

Edit::

Or will wiring them at 16ohm be ok? How much power will I be loosing compared to 8ohm?

Thanks

Last edited:
adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
ummm... i dont think two 8ohm speakers equals 16ohms... or am i thinking incorrectly here?

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Rufes1 said:
Hey all,

I have built other speakers before but never had to play with the impedance/resistance.

What I was curious to know is if you can chuck in a resistor either in series with the woofer or tweeter? or in parallel?

Thanks again

Or will wiring them at 16ohm be ok? How much power will I be loosing compared to 8ohm?

Thanks
You are going to need to build or buy a crossover network. This will let you run the drivers in parallel and the impedance will still be 8 ohms.

Here is some stuff to get you started:
http://www.termpro.com/articles/xover2.html

http://www.kbapps.com/audio/speakerdesign/calculators/Default.htm

D

Dryseals

Audioholic Intern
Rufes1 said:
Hey all,

Thanks again

Thanks

Let me see if I got this right, you are using an 8 ohm woofer and a 8 ohm tweeter. If so, then there is no problem, the crossover will seperate the impedance to act as 8 for both the drivers. Is that what you are looking for?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis