Dented dome tweeter

I

ifsixwasnin9

Audioholic
I used gorilla tape to try to get a dent out of my JBL tweeter but it didn't work. (Gorilla tape is real sticky.) What else can I do to remove the dent?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
If it can be disassembled (and you know what you're doing), you can separate the diaphragm from the magnet and gently smooth it out from the inside.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would use something like Blue painters tape or frog tape, not something like Gorilla. Gorilla is TOO sticky and might leave residue or even cause more damage (stick too much and pull it too far out), which frog tape will not. When you say it didn't do it, what happened? Did it not stick or did it not pull the dent out? Tape would usually be the recommendation, but disassembly might the only option if that didn't work.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Simple., use your vacuum cleaner, Just place the hose over the dented section for a few seconds, Job done.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I used gorilla tape to try to get a dent out of my JBL tweeter but it didn't work. (Gorilla tape is real sticky.) What else can I do to remove the dent?
Can you post a picture of the dent?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The dent may not have any meaningful effect on sound. Compare the dented speaker system to the one that doesn't have a dent. If the sound is the same, don't do anything.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
For a 035Ti or similar , remove the faceplate/diaphragm and you can gently pop it back out from the rear.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been told that a dent in a tweeter can sometimes not cause any problems. Surely it changes something tho? Tweeters are dome shaped (or inverted) for a reason, right? Wouldn't changing the shape affect directionality or something? Is it at all measurable?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis