Dent in midrange silk dome

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Friend had his kid poke the midrange dome in. Used the tape trick and got it mostly back to normal; however, still some creasing and minor dimpling on the dome.

Is this a big deal, or no?

I've tried some googling and, like everything, all I could find are some forum posts where everyone disagrees. Also, mainly the discussion centres around the high end frequencies, whereas this one is a midrange silk dome.

I couldn't really tell a difference when I listened to it vs the untouched speaker, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either way IMO.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Might provide some insight:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Friend had his kid poke the midrange dome in. Used the tape trick and got it mostly back to normal; however, still some creasing and minor dimpling on the dome.

Is this a big deal, or no?

I've tried some googling and, like everything, all I could find are some forum posts where everyone disagrees. Also, mainly the discussion centres around the high end frequencies, whereas this one is a midrange silk dome.

I couldn't really tell a difference when I listened to it vs the untouched speaker, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either way IMO.
It's hard to say that it could have been affected unless you have comparative measurements. It's certainly possible that it can have been affected, but maybe the effects were subtle. When you put creases in a cone or dome, you change its uniform stiffness. That can change its pistonic behavior at high frequencies, so it can run into breakup modes lower in frequency than it was intended to. But you can really only speculate on the potential damage without measurements. If you don't hear anything wrong, I would just sit back and enjoy the music and not let it worry you. If you know it is always going to nag you, than get a replacement midrange driver anyway.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
It's hard to say that it could have been affected unless you have comparative measurements. It's certainly possible that it can have been affected, but maybe the effects were subtle. When you put creases in a cone or dome, you change its uniform stiffness. That can change its pistonic behavior at high frequencies, so it can run into breakup modes lower in frequency than it was intended to. But you can really only speculate on the potential damage without measurements. If you don't hear anything wrong, I would just sit back and enjoy the music and not let it worry you. If you know it is always going to nag you, than get a replacement midrange driver anyway.
Thanks. That's what I figured. Long story short, yes it is a big deal! ;)

L

LoFi

Enthusiast
If no damage was done to the voice coil (ie) scratchy noise ect. You might look at Parts Express or other speaker parts dealer for a dust cap close to the correct size. Cut the old dust cap off, glue on a new dust cap and you have a like new driver.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis