Denon, Yamaha, HK - for Klipsch???

E

ericschirm

Audiophyte
I have been going back and forth trying to decide on a receiver for my new speakers. Please suggest a 7.1 receiver for the following setup-

Klipsch SF3 mains
Klipsch SS3 surrounds
Klipsch SC3 center
Klipsch SS1 sides
Klipsch KSW12 sub

It will be for a dedicated HT room (The room is 12.5x18.5x9). I should be getting my speakers in a couple of weeks and I currently don't have a receiver for them. Now the bad part. I would like to stay close to $400-$500. I have a tight budget for the entire setup and if I blow my wad on audio then my video setup will be downgraded. I am really not concerned with a status symbol receiver but one that will tame the "bright" leaning sound of Klipsch.

I *think* I have narrowed (call that narrowed?) it down to the following choices-

Denon 2805 (over budget but DLPIIx)
Denon 2803 (refurb, no DLPIIx)
Yamaha 5760 (in budget but no eq- considered bright?)
Yamaha 5790 ($, go with Denon instead?)
HK 630 (refurb, quality issues?, over budget)
HK 430 (refurb, quality issues?)

Thanks for your input and I appreciate all OPINIONS!!!

--I might sell the Klipsch KSW12 sub for a HSU 10". Would that be wise- 12" for a 10"? I couldn't pass up the KSW12 for $200.

BTW- If anyone wants to upgrade I would consider used- email me!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Tough one. A few observations and questions.

But, you can tale solace in the fact that, all else being pretty much equal, the overall sound of your system is governed by your speaker choices and their positioning in the listening room.

As long as you have sufficient power to drive them, you should be fine. And, since Klipsch is among the most effecient main stream speakers out there, any of the above units should do you well.

Since quality issues seem to loom large in your choices, why would you even look at refurbs? After all, they may have failed once already.

Let the features you need and/or desire determine your choice.

That being said, I've had a Denon 2802 for over two years now and it sounds great and I've had no troubles at all, aside from learning how to maximize all the features it offers but all HT receivers are like that. They take a little more edjumacation to use than a toaster oven. Learn to love your manual.

But, a final question looms heavily in my mind. If you knew of and were afraid of the stated "bright" tendencies of the Klipsch speakers, why did you buy them in the first place? If one doesn't like the sound of speakers before buying them, don't buy them. Don't expect another piece of gear to compensate for the failings of another. You may well be sorely disappointed since most of these receivers sound pretty much alike.

Understand, no guarantees are implied. This is just the ramblings of some guy on the 'net.

Good luck...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis