Denon X3400H OSD not being shown when using Sony UBP-X700 UHD player

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
HI all, I have the Denon x3400H AVR and recently replaced my older panasonic blu-ray player with a Sony UBP-X700 4k player. Any disc (1080p or 4k disc) on this player, I notice that some of the Denon on screen menus don't appear on the tv such as the volume and the green button on the remote where you choose which audio configuration to use. And when a menu button does appear on the screen, it's slow to come up. I have other devices connected to this avr such as cable box, streaming box and a PC and everything works perfectly. It only happens with this new sony blu-ray player. Anyone know why this is happening?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What are the current video output settings of the player? What are the video processing settings of the receiver? What kind of TV is in play here?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't quite understand what you're describing, and based on a lack of replies I'm guessing nobody else does either... there's not enough, and not clear enough info provided. Some of the menus appear and some don't? I know there's a setting that will turn the volume indicator off. Only the green button? I'm assuming you mean under "sound mode"? What about red, yellow and blue? It's only happening with the disc player? I don't think I'd sweat it much, but understand wanting to know what's going on I s'pose. A reset might clear it up.

It'd help if you included how you have everything hooked up too. Are you using ARC and your tv for switching sources or is everything routed through the receiver and you're using it for switching?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Very odd. I have a 700 with a Marantz 6012. I’ve never noticed this behavior.
Treb could be on to something though.

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
I don't quite understand what you're describing, and based on a lack of replies I'm guessing nobody else does either... there's not enough, and not clear enough info provided. Some of the menus appear and some don't? I know there's a setting that will turn the volume indicator off. Only the green button? I'm assuming you mean under "sound mode"? What about red, yellow and blue? It's only happening with the disc player? I don't think I'd sweat it much, but understand wanting to know what's going on I s'pose. A reset might clear it up.

It'd help if you included how you have everything hooked up too. Are you using ARC and your tv for switching sources or is everything routed through the receiver and you're using it for switching?
I'm not the best at explaining things. the Sony x700 disc player is connected to the AVR using an HDMI cable. I also have a cable box and windows 10 PC connected the same way. Each have their own HDMI port on the back of the AVR of course. I have a Sony X900H TV. I'm watching a blu-ray disc, either 1080p or 4k and I press volume up on the AVR remote. the volume goes up and it indicates this on the AVR, but the volume graphic on the TV doesn't show up. If I press the green sound mode button on the AVR remote, I can cycle through all the sound modes and each mode shows up on the AVR, but the graphic doesn't show up on the TV. if I press the button on the remote to increase the sub volume or any individual speaker volume, that graphic does show up, but it takes a couple of seconds to show up. I haven't tried any other buttons on the remote. this doesn't happen when using the cable box, win10 PC and my old disc player. I've already tried turning off the volume indicator in the AVR settings and turning it on. And I'm not using ARC. I have an onkyo AVR upstairs and this never happens to that either. Although I never plugged in my new Sony x700 player to that yet, but I will.

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
What are the current video output settings of the player? What are the video processing settings of the receiver? What kind of TV is in play here?
I'll get you that info tonight.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not the best at explaining things. the Sony x700 disc player is connected to the AVR using an HDMI cable. I also have a cable box and windows 10 PC connected the same way. Each have their own HDMI port on the back of the AVR of course. I have a Sony X900H TV. I'm watching a blu-ray disc, either 1080p or 4k and I press volume up on the AVR remote. the volume goes up and it indicates this on the AVR, but the volume graphic on the TV doesn't show up. If I press the green sound mode button on the AVR remote, I can cycle through all the sound modes and each mode shows up on the AVR, but the graphic doesn't show up on the TV. if I press the button on the remote to increase the sub volume or any individual speaker volume, that graphic does show up, but it takes a couple of seconds to show up. I haven't tried any other buttons on the remote. this doesn't happen when using the cable box, win10 PC and my old disc player. I've already tried turning off the volume indicator in the AVR settings and turning it on. And I'm not using ARC. I have an onkyo AVR upstairs and this never happens to that either. Although I never plugged in my new Sony x700 player to that yet, but I will.
Could just be a quirk. A minor but annoying one, lol.

If it bugs you, you could do a factory reset and see if it clears up. First tho, try pressing the setup button/video/on screen display when you're using the player. You can turn the volume indicator off/on/top or bottom. There's "info" and "now playing" that can be toggled on and off too. They could be turned off for that input.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
HI all, I have the Denon x3400H AVR and recently replaced my older panasonic blu-ray player with a Sony UBP-X700 4k player. Any disc (1080p or 4k disc) on this player, I notice that some of the Denon on screen menus don't appear on the tv such as the volume and the green button on the remote where you choose which audio configuration to use. And when a menu button does appear on the screen, it's slow to come up. I have other devices connected to this avr such as cable box, streaming box and a PC and everything works perfectly. It only happens with this new sony blu-ray player. Anyone know why this is happening?
Did you install the most recent update? It helped with some issues I was having.

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
Did you install the most recent update? It helped with some issues I was having.
yes last night, but no change. but since posting this question I found out that this is how Denon receivers are, they can't display GUI when 4k content is being played. but i'm still going to try fix it cause some GUI does get displayed. Hopefully I can get the ones I need working.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
yes last night, but no change. but since posting this question I found out that this is how Denon receivers are, they can't display GUI when 4k content is being played. but i'm still going to try fix it cause some GUI does get displayed. Hopefully I can get the ones I need working.
I've noticed that it won't display whatever is onscreen behind the gui if it's 4k, but it still displays the gui. The screen behind it just goes black.

Did you check the settings I suggested?

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
I've noticed that it won't display whatever is onscreen behind the gui if it's 4k, but it still displays the gui. The screen behind it just goes black.

Did you check the settings I suggested?
yes, for the settings that do work, first I get a black screen and then a couple of seconds later the GUI comes up. so why do some settings work and some don't? I forgot to send you the settings. are you looking for anything in particular?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Check Denon Video Conversion setting. Turn ON if it is OFF and see if overlay works. Oh, TV model? Denon and TV 4K modes Standard or Enhanced?

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
Check Denon Video Conversion setting. Turn ON if it is OFF and see if overlay works. Oh, TV model? Denon and TV 4K modes Standard or Enhanced?
the TV is the Sony x900h 75". I'm using HDMI 3 on the TV which is the enhanced one, but I didn't do the firmware update. I didn't even do the firmware update on the sony player. I don't like doing firmware updates. I did the firmware update on the Denon last night, but it was by accident. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
And the Denon, Enhanced Mode? Try the Conversion setting?

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
And the Denon, Enhanced Mode? Try the Conversion setting?
I don't remember seeing anything about enhanced mode or converstion setting in the Denon. I'll look tonight. if you have a denon and you're next to it, can you tell me where these items are?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
yes, for the settings that do work, first I get a black screen and then a couple of seconds later the GUI comes up. so why do some settings work and some don't? I forgot to send you the settings. are you looking for anything in particular?
Nothing special aside from there is a setting that will turn the volume display indicator off along with a couple other settings in the same menu. If it was turned off that'd explain at least part of it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The menus are different among different models but you want to look into the Video selection in the Setup Menu. Most relevant settings will be set to Auto by default. For Enhanced Mode, you are looking for something like 4K Signal output. If it is set to Standard, switch it to Enhanced. It may not fix your issue, but it will enable full HDR passthrough. Try turning on Video Conversion for the Sony player's HDMI input to see if it activates GUI overlay.

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
Nothing special aside from there is a setting that will turn the volume display indicator off along with a couple other settings in the same menu. If it was turned off that'd explain at least part of it.
I already tried that last night. in fact I'm pretty sure when I turned this setting off for the volume, the volume GUI still came up.

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
For avr
Hdmi video output: auto(dual)
Video mode: auto
Video conversion: on
I/p scaler: off
Video/osd info: on
4k singal format: enhanced

For sony x700 player
Hdr output: auto
Display type: TV
Output video res: auto
TV type: 16/9
Screen format: normal
Control for hdmi: on
Linked to tv-off: valid
Auto display: on

B

baneling

Audioholic Intern
Someone on FB suggested I try an hdmi 2.1 cable. Do u think that might help?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis