Denon vs Yamaha: Please Advise

A

atapay

Audiophyte
I have a medium size entertainment room with Bose Acoustimass 10 speakers (1 center, 2 front, 2 rear). I'm undecided as to what receiver to get. I've been looking around and I've cut my choices down to 3:

Denon AVR-3805
Denon AVR-2805
Yamaha RXV-2500

I'm not too familiar with the features of each receiver, but I don't want to get something I will not need. I mainly use it 90% of the time watching movies and 10% listening to music. Please help.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
For your needs I'd go with the Yammie....

Most people I've talked to seem to think Yammis' are better suited for movies and Denon is more musical. I'm sure both will do a fine job at either...but Yamaha is probably a little more dynamic with it's DSP modes and THX certs. Denon has more music oriented features like Pure direct, Denon Link, and probably a better preamp section.

I own a 3805, but I'm more of a 25% movies/75% music kind of guy and that suits me better.

Plus the 2500 is far less expensive than the 3805...I believe Tweeter sells those models for the following prices(I just happened to be in there yesterday):

Yamaha 2500 - $999
Denon 2805 - $899
Denon 3805 - $1199

Personally I think the 3805 is a better machine than the 2500...but for your purposes it sounds like the Yammie will do you fine and save you a couple hundred bucks.

That's my take...

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello
I hope this does not sound condescending that is not my intention.
Unless you decide at some point in the future to upgrade your speaker system
My advice would be to just buy a very in-expensive receiver an entry level
Yamaha HTR 5740 would be more than enough these can be obtained at
Best Buy for around $250 If you plan on upgrading then by all means look at the
Yamaha 2500 and the Denon 3805

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I'm with Ray on this one... If you don't need additional rooms, and don't plan to upgrade from those speakers, you're wasting money getting a quality receiver.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It really is a personal preference. The 3805 & 2500 are very similar units overall, but the Yamaha includes automatic setup WITH the microphone, while the Denon requires you to purchase it separately. Listening is what will really help you decide and I for one, would be happy with either as they both sound great and provide plenty of power for audio and video watching.

Both give you 3 component inputs and 3 full zones of usage should you wish to pipe audio (2) and video (1) to another room.

If the prices were the same, then I might go with the Denon just for some change from the Yamaha that I have had for a couple of years. But, since the Yamaha may cost you a couple hundred less than a 3805 I would go with it and be very happy.

The 2805 also has the 3 component inputs, and offers good power.... There are a couple less ins and outs it looks like, but really, do you need them? The 2805 is an excellent value for your dollar and if your room isn't huge it may provide the perfect blend of value and performance.

Bottom line: You can't go wrong with any of them sound wise or quality wise, so do they meet your needs physically and provide enough power for your speakers/room and how much can you afford?

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
I too agree with RLA. I believe he knows his stuff. If I were you I'd look at the Pioneer 1014. I believe it's the best bang for the buck in a budget receiver. Then I'd upgrade my speakers, and enjoy.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Nothing wrong with getting a good receiver, THEN upgrading your speakers is there boys??

Those guys are taking a cheap shot at poor ol' Mr. BOSE. :rolleyes:

Any of the receivers you mention would be a great choice, they are all quality units. Pick thge one that you like best. My last one was a Denon 3802, I decided on Yamaha this time, and have been very happy with it. It's not that I had a problem with my Denon, quite the opposite, it was great. It's just that I have an addiction to electronics, and the only way to "get a fix" is to upgrade.

Good luck.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Just answer what he asked...

I refrained from Bose bashing in my first response because the gentleman asked a specific and direct question. The fact that he has the Bose speakers is relevant...but that's not what he asked. If he asked us what he thought of his new speakers...well, then it's open season. :)

I think that being an audio enthusiast is something that should be within yourself...no one should shame someone into upgrading a component because of a general consensus. If those Bose speakers sound good to that guy then by golly enjoy those Bose speakers. If it were meant to be he will go over his buddies house, hears some B&W's, Pardigms, or Axioms and say "hey...I think I need to upgrade." To me that's the beauty of this hobby...not just doing something because a bunch of strangers tell you you should.

I think there's only one thing dumber than having lame speakers you don't like because a salesman told you they are good. That's not buying speakers you do like because somebody else told you they were no good.

Before I bought my Polk LSi15's I read plenty of Polk bashers on this sight and others saying how Polk sucks...how they're mass marketed and they can't be any good because they sell them at Circuit City...blah, blah, blah. When I went to audition, for the price I was looking to spend ($1500 for attractive floor standers that sound nice), the LSi15's blew everything else away I heard including Paradigms, B&W's, Sonus, NHT's, and Def Techs. There were some Paradigms and B&W's that sounded better...but they were at least $1000 more a pair.

My point is...listen to you ears, your mind, and your budget. Use forums like this for information and perspective...not to make your decisions for you.

O.K...I'm off my soapbox now...

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
20to20K said:
I refrained from Bose bashing in my first response because the gentleman asked a specific and direct question. The fact that he has the Bose speakers is relevant...but that's not what he asked. If he asked us what he thought of his new speakers...well, then it's open season. :)
the guy is looking to drop 10 c notes on getting his system to sound better.. the sad part is, it won't. he deserves to know that in advance.

I personally would be REALLY annoyed if someone didn't stop me from blowing a grand when they knew up front I was wasting my time.

like Meat Loaf said.. there ain't no Coupe DeVille lying at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
20to20K said:

I was going to say... picking on a guy's speakers is like saying the guy's wife is ugly. He picked her, he liked her, it aint up to us to tell him he was wrong.

You said it nicer.

Good job.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think it is great that we are bashing on the guys speakers and then telling him to spend money on much lower quality receivers instead of encouraging him to make an informed decision on what he asked about and then (kindly) point out that the receiver is probably more than is necessary for his speakers.

For all any of us know though, he may already plan to upgrade his speakers in a year and just wants the recevier first, or his old receiver died, or.... ??? Who knows with no response currently.

But, when I dropped over a grand on my receiver, I bought it because I knew I was getting better speakers later on and wanted a receiver that was appropriate to go with it. I would definitely recommend some sort of upgraded speakers at some point, but right now, get any of those top notch receivers that meets you A/V component needs and worry about speakers when you are ready.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
RLA said:
Hello
I hope this does not sound condescending that is not my intention.
Unless you decide at some point in the future to upgrade your speaker system
My advice would be to just buy a very in-expensive receiver an entry level
Yamaha HTR 5740 would be more than enough these can be obtained at
Best Buy for around $250 If you plan on upgrading then by all means look at the
Yamaha 2500 and the Denon 3805
This would be my advice also. ;)

20to20K

Full Audioholic
sjdgpt said:
I was going to say... picking on a guy's speakers is like saying the guy's wife is ugly. He picked her, he liked her, it aint up to us to tell him he was wrong.

You said it nicer.

Good job.
Actually...I like yours better! Where were you when John Lennon needed you? :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
point out that the receiver is probably more than is necessary for his speakers
It is bad advice to recommend someone tp drop $1k on a receiver when the person doesn't have the speakers to benefit from it, or have any plans of upgrading those speakers. The most important thing in a hometheater system is the loudspeaker/room equation. If you don't get that correct off the bat, spending more money on electronics will yield little to no audible benefit.

My advice to the user with the Bose speakers, if you are happy with those speakers and plan no upgrades to them, look for a good $300 surround receiver as others suggested. This will give you the best bang for the buck and satisfy your needs.

If you do plan on a new speaker system, first define your whole system budget and requirements before buying anything.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
I see your point Gene but...

I've been shot down by Yoda...and he does have a point, so I'll back off(somewhat).

But just to be clear...I wasn't recommeding that he drop $1K on a reciever.
He asked which of these three AVR's are better for his needs (90% movies,
10% audio) and I answered that specific question. Me personally if I asked a
multiple choice question like that I would expect the responses to be either A, B or C with an explaination why. Then perhaps a footnote question or comment about the speakers or intent to upgrade...perhaps. If he hadn't happen to mention his speakers in passing we wouldn't even be having this dialogue and I doubt if anyone would have asked.

If he asked what reciever was a good match for his speakers, then I would
have told him exactly what you just said. The guys a grown man so I assume when he asks a specific question he wants an answer to that question

I would think the fact that he wouldn't have seen any improvement would have been enlightening and led him to ask the right question next time to "...seek the truth in audio"

I like finding out what's true myself as apposed to having someone tell me.

But that's just me...

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
20to20K said:
Actually...I like yours better! Where were you when John Lennon needed you? :D
John didnt ask my advice. But I see Paul has done pretty good without my advice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis