Denon "Virtual Surround" (Headphone) Comments?

A

Award

Enthusiast
For those who remember my receiver replace/upgrade thread from last week, after a lot of analysis, research, and discussion with my dealer, I think I'm heavily leaning toward a Denon 2310CI (I can't justify the 3310...mostly features I don't need, and it seems like there's no real sound improvement.)

One feature of some importance to me in an AVR is how it handles surround sound via headphones. My current receiver does no DSP for headphones...just stereo mix. But I'd like the new one to do a bit more.

So few receivers utilize Dolby Headphone, and while I've heard good things about it, I'm not fond of most of the AVRs in my price bracket that do support it. Yamaha, as with most other things in which they seem to suffer "We didn't invent it here" syndrome, has their own "Silent Cinema" equivalent of DH (which I've also heard good things about.

Denon also seems to have their own "Virtual Surround" mode instead of DH. I'm curious if any of you have tried it or compared it to DH or SC and can comment on how effective it is?

I'm not interested in it for music or 2ch sources...I use a dedicated headphone amp for 2ch music sources, this is purely for incoming 5.1 DD, DTS, analog, or bit stream (BD) sources.

That's virtually my last sticking point in selection (short of Denon's annoying shift from XM to Sirius support....ugg.)

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
i just happened to come across your post & thought id throw something out to you. I have a Denon AVR-889 which is equivelent to the 2310 (minus the ProLogicIIz). I just recently decided that i will be selling it ONLY due to the fact that it does not have pre-outs. I have B&W speakers that require quite a bit of power & though the 889 sounds great id like to have the option of adding amps. I purchased the 889 for $799 less than a year ago & it is in near perfect condition. If by chance it would be something that you'd like to discuss further feel free to either respond to this post or email me at: tdiebert80@yahoo.com.
hope you find what your looking for & happy listening!!!
Tim

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis