Denon receiver keeps shutting off

T

TimB

Audiophyte
:confused: I’m hoping so one can PLEASE help me with this problem. I have a Denon 2805 receiver, my front speakers are Mythos Ones, back speakers are Mythos Twos, and surrounds are definitive technology ceiling speakers. Anytime I turn up my volume anything above slightly normal, the receiver starts to beep then shut off. This happens every time no matter how long the receiver has been turned on. The Denon manual is no help, and neither is there web site FAQ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The first thing to check for something like that is stray strands of wire at the receiver. Disconnect and reconnect each wire. It generally doesn't take a lot to short you out, and if left that way, could cause damage, which is why the receiver shuts off. If that isn't it, move next to the speakers and check for strays as well as a consistent and correct hook up for + and - from the receiver. If that doesn't fix it, disconnect all speakers and hook them up one at a time to see if it is isolated to one speaker (the in ceiling ones in particular).

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
TimB said:
:confused: I’m hoping so one can PLEASE help me with this problem. I have a Denon 2805 receiver, my front speakers are Mythos Ones, back speakers are Mythos Twos, and surrounds are definitive technology ceiling speakers. Anytime I turn up my volume anything above slightly normal, the receiver starts to beep then shut off. This happens every time no matter how long the receiver has been turned on. The Denon manual is no help, and neither is there web site FAQ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JG is right. The receiver is going into protection mode. You need to disconnect all the speakers, then with separate "new" speaker wires, hook up the front towers, test the receiver, then try the front and rears, then the entire setup. It's possible, but not probably that the load is too much for the receiver to handle. I'm not sure why Def Tech states 4-8 ohms (Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 4 - 8 ohm outputs). Those speakers could be less than 4 ohms and putting a huge strain on the amp. But my guess is JG's, that there is a +/- speaker wire touching somewhere. Let us know what you find out.

T

TimB

Audiophyte
Thanks for your feedback. I tried exactly what was suggested. I tried each speakers cable one at a time and found that no matter what cable I plugged into the right surround sound post on the back of the reciever it would beep and shut off. If I took the same cable and used it on the back speakers it worked fine. To get around the surround sound issue I enabled the zone 2 and plugged into these posts. Now only once in awhile it will beep but not shut off (so far). Could there be an issue with the receiver itself? In the mean time I will test some more.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
TimB said:
Thanks for your feedback. I tried exactly what was suggested. I tried each speakers cable one at a time and found that no matter what cable I plugged into the right surround sound post on the back of the reciever it would beep and shut off. If I took the same cable and used it on the back speakers it worked fine. To get around the surround sound issue I enabled the zone 2 and plugged into these posts. Now only once in awhile it will beep but not shut off (so far). Could there be an issue with the receiver itself? In the mean time I will test some more.
Sounds like it may be the receiver if you've narrowed it down to the right surround post and primarily in zone 1. Give Denon Tech support a call today and tell them what you've tried at 800-497-8921 8:30-5pm central. They are extremely helpful.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis