Denon DVD 5900 setup question

T

tdenny

Enthusiast
I have a Denon DVD 5900 connected to my AVR 3805 receiver and my Infocus DLP projector. I'm trying to ensure that my DVD to the projector is the DVI. When I scroll through the mode menu I only see SACD, Filter, and Pure Direct as choices and not DVI as an option. Does anyone have any ideas why this might show up. The DVD player has the latest firmware upgrade so I'm stumped. I'm definitely a rookie in these type of matters. Thaks in advance for any help.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Now what gave you the idea that your Denon DVD-5900 has a DVI (Digital Visual Interface) port?
According to the specs your DVD Player has Component Video - S-Video - Composite Video Outputs.
And Optical - RCA - Coaxial Audio Outputs.

Mr.T

T

tdenny

Enthusiast
Dvi-d

I got the idea when I plugged the DVI-D cable into the DVI-D jack on the back of the DVD player. Apparently I need another firmware upgrade. :)

E

ebough

Junior Audioholic
Denon 5900 DVD

You are correct, you do have DVI output. I had the same problem initially because the instruction manual is maddeningly vague. You have to use the "mode" button on the front of the unit and click through to "DVI" on the display. You then use the rotational "select" switch on the right to choose the output (ie, 720p), and you then have to push the "select" switch in to lock your choice. I was going crazy with this because I was not pushing in the "select" switch!!! And none of this is available via the on-screen menu (talk about treating DVI as an afrerthought)! Shame on Denon.

One other problem you might experience is that 720P or 1080i output from your DVD will probably be treated by your HDTV as an automatic 16:9 format and you will not be able to adjust the screen width. Hence standard width DVDs of home photos get distorted when sent out in those formats. The only solution is to use 480p via DVI or to switch to component at 720p which the HDTV does not treat as automatic 16:9 format.

Hope you find some of this helpful. It drove me nuts for a while. The folks at HDTVoice.com were very helpful to me.

T

tdenny

Enthusiast
Yep, I did have the same problem but finally tried turning the "select knob" to choose my 720p resoultion. The problem I'm now having is that the DVD player Audio setup menu has the Denon Link grayed out (not selectable) so I'm currently unable to use that connection which, of course, optimal and why I chose these particular units. Thanks to all for the reples.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis