Denon DVD-2200 & discs not playing "complete"

J

jazzwith

Audiophyte
I've had a Denon DVD-2200 for about 15-16 months now. DVD movies, DVD-A discs, CD's, all play fine.

DVD-R Audio discs (burned with DiscWelder Steel) play fine....for 65-85% of the disc. Insert a disc, press play, everything's normal, anywhere between 1:30:00 & 2:10:00..."No Play".

I contacted Denon, and naturally they suggested it's potentially a disc issue, but these discs have played normal and complete on Oknyo DVD-A players. Is anyone familiar with this problem or have any ideas?

JVC

JVC

Banned
Denons have issues with a lot of DVD +/-R discs. I have a friend, and his 2200 won't play most DVD +/- R discs. He can put the disc in his Panasonic, and they play fine. Guys at other forums have also had problems with their 2200's. I know if I paid that much for a dvd player, it better play anything I put in it, or I'd be EXTREMELY upset! I like Denon receivers, but not real impressed with Denon dvd players.
Good luck!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'm very impressed with my Denon DVD-2200. But yes, it has issues with burned DVDs. The reality of the situation is that often it's the better players that have the most problems with them; I think it might have been Gene that pointed out that the cheapo's are usually the ones that are better with out-of-spec discs. Go figure. I've found that Toshiba, Sony & Philips don't fare much better. It can come down to a combo that your particular player likes (not even your model, but the singular one you have). I have a friend with a DVD-2900, and it seems to be pretty good with DVD-R.

Cost & quality of the player seems to have virtually nothing to do with predicting how well it will play burned discs. In my experience, Pioneer players are overall pretty reliable with nearly all brands of DVD recordable.

Funnily enough, I had a $35 Coby that would play every kind of DVD+R/-R that I had on hand, including discs that failed the burn or failed verification. Go figure. :p

20to20K

Full Audioholic
My 2200 seems fine so far...

I've got 3 burned DVD's, all concerts, that play fine on my 2200 all the way through. I'll keep my eyes open though.

I love my 2200 for the most part. The thing that irks me is the inability to cue up a track to play on a CD. Every other CD I've ever seen allows you to skip to the track you want to, THEN hit play or even pause it at that point and have it qued up in case your recording to a tape deck (remember them?) On the Denon you have to hit play, skip to the track, the try and quickly hit pause (which you can never do in time) if you want to que it up. Very strange.

Has anyone found a trick to get around this?

J

jazzwith

Audiophyte
20to20K said:
I've got 3 burned DVD's, all concerts, that play fine on my 2200 all the way through. I'll keep my eyes open though.
That's what I have - burned (audio only) concerts ranging from two & a half hours to six hours. Like I said, they'll play for up to two hours before suddenly halting and displaying, "No Play". Not sure if it's related to the 2200's tendency to get hot or what (or simply a hardware compatibility issue). Only use MAM-A discs.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

jazzwith said:
DVD-R Audio discs (burned with DiscWelder Steel) play fine....for 65-85% of the disc. Insert a disc, press play, everything's normal, anywhere between 1:30:00 & 2:10:00..."No Play".
I use Eximius DVD2One Audio Remaster to do the same thing- you can get several hours of music onto a DVD-R, and the sound is excellent. My Denon will often play them, but sometimes you get a tick or hangup. I gave up and added a 2nd player just for burned discs. Not ideal, but the upside- more gear! :D

J

jazzwith

Audiophyte
Rob Babcock said:
I gave up and added a 2nd player just for burned discs. Not ideal, but the upside- more gear! :D
I'm probably headed in the same direction. Once I get confirmation on the Onkyo DV-SP1000 handling DVD-R Audio discs without any issues, I'm going that route.

I don't have the time or interest in shipping my 2200 off to Denon for it to sit there for an unknown amount of time...to have them tell me, "It's your discs"...knowing that's not the case.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

IMO the issue of burned DVDs is a big mess, with landmines everywhere. The CD spec was very tight, and it's almost unheard of for a decent brand CD-R to fail to play back on anything. Not so with DVD-R. The spec seems to vary wildly, and incompatibility between burners, media & players is rampant.

At one time I hoped to use DVD-R to basically replace the CD-R. Sadly, in my estimation the reliablity simply isn't there.

BTW, by all account the Onkyo DV-SP1000 is a superb player. If you go that route I'll be anxious to hear how you like it.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
How long are these discs that don't play completely? It's possible that the Denon can't handle discs that are longer than the spec allows.

Take CD-R for example. Nero and other programs and some cd burners allow you to 'overburn'. So you could get say 85 minutes on a 700MB 80 minute disc. This violates the spec because you are going into the lead-out area and the lead-out is no longer 90 seconds. Some discs can acutally hold more than what they are rated for without going into the lead-out area, most can't. Some players happily play them anyway and some don't. I bought the Foreigner Anthology and my Yamaha burner couldn't read the 18th and 19th tracks at all, but my Sony dvd player read both of them just fine.

I wonder if it is the same issue with burned DVD-Rs.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
I just got a Denon 2900....an upgrade from a Pioneer 563a. I have a lot of burned DVD-R's. The ones the 2900 has problems with seem to be the ones that have a certain auto start sequence. The Pioneer read everything I threw at it.

I was told that it could possibly the media and that I should try Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media. I have only burned one DVD so far with it....and it had no hiccups.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I agree with the comment about the type of media used. I have definately had better luck with some brands than I have had with others. So far my 2200 has read every thing I have thrown at it. I use either TDK DVD-R or Disc Makers DVD-R. Found Here.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
I just had a couple of discs that would not play in my 2900, and oddly, were not readable in my PC's DVD-ROM drive, but were readable on my DVD-burner(Pioneer). So, I copied them onto the Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media, and now they work fine in the 2900.

J

jazzwith

Audiophyte
Anonymous said:
How long are these discs that don't play completely? It's possible that the Denon can't handle discs that are longer than the spec allows.
The discs range from 30% to 90% in 'burned capacity'. I don't think DVD-R currently has an overburn option anyway.

How long they'll play isn't set in stone. It varies. It isn't as if there's a point on the disc where the error regularly occurs. Sometimes it's an hour and forty-five, sometimes it will play up to two hours.

One common trend (that I haven't confirmed to be a constant), is that it seems that the longer the disc, the more play time I get. In other words, if the disc contains five hours of music, I may get two hours and forty-five minutes of play. If the disc contains three hours of music, I may get an hour and fifty minutes of play.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis