ClairET

Audioholic Intern
Hi all. Looking to upgrade from my Onkyo TX-SR608 and considering a Denon AVRX2600H, currently at $550 US. Anyone have this receiver? While the receiver is currently at a $250 savings, is there a better one I should consider?

Currently running 5.1 (NHT 3.1, Super Zero and VT-1C) with no room for more speakers, so staying at 5.1...maybe 5.2 if I can swing two new subs at some point.

My Onkyo has developed a low frequency static on the LFE channel, which seems to be internal to the receiver AND it doesn’t support newer HDMI formats. ARC has also been a hit or miss. Was working with the TV for a while, turning on/off/volume, etc, but that’s a hit and miss now.

The only secondary source which will be connected will be a 4K Blu-Ray. The Denon seems a bit overkill, but I’m looking for ease of use , clean sound and future proofing as much as possible.

Budget is right in the $500 range. What do you all think?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Denon X3500H has been going for $549 on Amazon for a little while now. It's a 2018 model, but a clear step up from the 2600 for close to the same price.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I second that... if you can step up a notch to the 3500, you get the better version of Audyssey for room correction, and the privilege of purchasing their App as well. Though not necessary, it does put more control in your hands.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And a THIRD!(dramatic British accent)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. Wasn’t aware of the 3500 on Amazon. Definitely changed my plan!
Definitely, no doubt about it.. The biggest advantage of the 3500 over the 2600 is the 7.1 pre-out, aside from Audyssey XT32. With the 7.1 pre-out, you have the option to add external power amp(s), should the need arise.

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
Receiver arrived today. The unit is stout and appears very well made. Remote could be better. Feels a bit cheap, but I’ve definitely seen worse. Seems to have all the right buttons and only the required ones, which is excellent. Setup was an absolute breeze. Really happy to have OSD again. eARC works great. It even turns off all attached components. Odyssey setup was much more detailed than what I’ve seen before.

None of this matters though. The big success story is my wife instantly noticed a big difference in sound quality. She’s not an audiophile. I think that says it all right there. Thanks for helping spend my money. At least one if not two SVS subs will be next.

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
Any recommendations with settings, etc, anyone has found useful, I pad appreciate the guidance. The online manual seems pretty extensive!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Any recommendations with settings, etc, anyone has found useful, I pad appreciate the guidance. The online manual seems pretty extensive!
Since you ran Audyssey one thing some avrs do is turn on Audyssey's Dynamic Volume (a dynamic compression routine) automatically and I'd just turn that off as that's my preference not to have that running (might be handy for late nite listening and keeping things a little more tolerable for others in the house). Audyssey's Dynamic EQ is also usually turned on automatically; this I personally find very handy but is mainly setup for movies to start, with music I think you might prefer to use it in conjunction with the Reference Level Offset settings. Some will change particular speaker levels after running Audyssey to suit, sub is the most frequently cited one (many bump it up 2-4 dB). If you're using a sub and any speakers were set to "large" I'd change them to small and probably start with an 80hz crossover and experiment from there.

Here are some comments by Audyssey on the subject of crossover and dynamic eq/RLO.

ps I recommend downloading the pdf of the manual, easier to use and usually a better format

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis