Denon AVR885 ...opinions?

B

bman3

Audiophyte
I am setting up a home theater and want to buy a receiver inside $500 - the Denon 885 seems to be a good option. I will use this for 50% home theater and 50% music - like the separate zone for outside speakers and also like the automatic set up feature.

Any thoughts on this receiver or maybe a different recommendation in this price range?

Thought very much appreciated!

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Harman Kardon AVR335 is another option. It also has zone 2 (unamplified, but preamp outs) and auto setup.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
The 885 is the same as the 2105 unless I'm mistaken. It's a pretty good receiver. The Harman Jaxvon suggests is nice, so is the Pioneer 1015. I think that the closest Yamaha would be the 5860 and you could get it for around that price. For me the Pioneer is the best buy in the under $500 category barring some kind of great deal.

T

TRUCKGUYGMC23

Audioholic Intern
I have the 885 and I have been very happy with it so far. I use it for 75% music / 25% movies and it does very well. It is a very mellow sounding receiver and matches up well and powers my Klipsch speakers very nicely. I think for the price it is a very good buy. I might have purchased the Pioneer 1015 if they would have offered it in silver, but I have no regrets with the Denon. The manual of the unit says Denon 885/2105 so they are the same unit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis