Denon AVR-X4200W and AVR-X3200W Atmos/DTS:X AV Receiver Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We were able to get an advanced look at the Denon AVR-X3200W and AVR-X4200W Atmos/DTS:X AV receivers, and they look pretty cool. They bring with them flexible multi-room installation options, Audyssey, and HDMI 2.0. These receivers are both 4K Ultra HD ready with upscaling and upconverting. They come out of the box with Dolby Atmos and through an upgrade will both offer DTS:X Immersive Surround Sound, bringing them up to date with current 3D surround technology.

Read: Denon AVR-X4200W and AVR-X3200W Atmos/DTS:X AV Receiver Preview

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Ultra HD features and Composite Video inputs /s.

C

Cristian Montes

Audiophyte
between this denon x4200w and yamaha rx-a 2050 which one is better in term of using it as pre-amp, just to prossesor the sound not to amplication.
many thanks

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
between this denon x4200w and yamaha rx-a 2050 which one is better in term of using it as pre-amp, just to prossesor the sound not to amplication.
many thanks
With both in Pure Direct, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. For using EQ or processing modes, both have competent pre-amps. Ideally, bring both home and return the loser. You can't go wrong with either.

J

Justin Bass

Enthusiast
Hello Im new here. Im looking into getting a new receiver, my old Denon AVR3300 just bit the dust. I have been looking at two receivers. A)Denon AVR-X4200W and B)Onkyo TX-RZ900...I see they both have 140 wpchannel, The Onkyo is about 10 lbs heavier then the Denon. I dont have a phono, but that doesnt matter. Im looking for sound quality for watching movies in surround mode. What are the Pros and Cons of both. And what would you purchase of the two.. thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello Im new here. Im looking into getting a new receiver, my old Denon AVR3300 just bit the dust. I have been looking at two receivers. A)Denon AVR-X4200W and B)Onkyo TX-RZ900...I see they both have 140 wpchannel, The Onkyo is about 10 lbs heavier then the Denon. I dont have a phono, but that doesnt matter. Im looking for sound quality for watching movies in surround mode. What are the Pros and Cons of both. And what would you purchase of the two.. thanks
The Onkyo would likely give you more power but not enough to really make much of a difference. I would still prefer the Denon for the Audyssey XT32 and Sub EQ HT feature.. Denon also seems to have less issues reported on line by their owners.

JPyman325

JPyman325

Enthusiast
Just picked up a X3200 for $499 at Fry's with there weekly promo code and this sounds great and the picture quality is awesome

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just picked up a X3200 for $499 at Fry's with there weekly promo code and this sounds great and the picture quality is awesome
Congratulations!
That's fantastic price, is it new with the 3 year Denon warranty?

JPyman325

JPyman325

Enthusiast
Brand new 3 year warranty - If you have a Fry's by you then sign up for their promo code and once they send that code head into the store and see if you can find one - I got the last one but they are suppose to be getting more.

Not sure why they are doing it - but it did get me in the store.

S

steven long

Audiophyte
I think you made a mistake in this article. you said that the avr-x3200w could not add additional amp. i am trying to chose between the x3200 or x4200 so i pulled there pdf manuals from denon's site and it shows that you can add amp on x3200. can you please check to see who is right? if you can add amp what is max configuration-- 7.2.2 or 7.2.4, etc?

J

Justin Bass

Enthusiast
I picked up the avr-x6200w, because I didn't want to buy an amp. Check it out

C

Checker9

Enthusiast
What are you opinions on the 4K upscaling of these AVRs?

I have an X4200 and using the upsclaing to 1080P for my plasma TV. I am planning to get a Samsung 8000 series or a Vizio P series. The Vizio has some nice picture features that I want over the Samsung but per reviews, it has poor upscaling of any content below 1080P. I watch streaming and DirecTV content which has some 720 and 1080i content, so that less optimal upscaling of the Vizio would be a disadvantage to me, but if my Denon's upscaling did 4K well, then that would be moot because I could just use the Denon to do it. Since I do not have a 4K TV now, I cannot test it (but again the 1080p upscaling looks good.)

Anyone use or test the Denon's X series 4K upscaling? Opinions?

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
I think most modern 4k TV's have very good 1080p -> 4k upscaling built in already. This kind of conversion is a simpler easy to solve kind of conversion and the external ones used in AVR's or source devices probably don't offer a very noticeable quality improvement. However converting lower than 1080p signals may be a bit of a mixed bag with some TV's doing it better than others and there is extra quality improving filters/stages applied to these sources in some AVR's and source devices. Things like the Oppo universal players have great quality conversion to 1080p that will often easily beat a TV's conversion.

So getting your source or AVR with good conversion chips to go to 1080p and then getting your display to do the final 4k upscaling may make some sense. The advantage here is that the signal going up to the TV is lower bandwidth or higher frame rate than 4k and may cause less issues. Another big gain with this method is that overlays from things like the AVR look a lot nicer in 1080p than in lower source resolution. low res overlays make text look very chunky on a big 4k screen. In theory if the AVR did the 4k conversion then the overlay would be in 4k as well but I don't think there will be a major improvement with this. You will find some devices may fix the overlay at 1080p and apply it just before the 1080->4k stage but this will get less common going forward.

C

Checker9

Enthusiast
So getting your source or AVR with good conversion chips to go to 1080p and then getting your display to do the final 4k upscaling may make some sense.
Would the double processing, of scaling 720 material to 1080P in the AVR and then to 4K in the TV, cause more of processing delay in the video and therefore cause more lip sync issues?

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Would the double processing, of scaling 720 material to 1080P in the AVR and then to 4K in the TV, cause more of processing delay in the video and therefore cause more lip sync issues?
Don't think it would make a big difference. The tv will probably have a very similar input lag or response time when it is passed 4k or 1080p signals. The avr may add a small delay but in theory it is meant to delay the audio feed to match the delay.

Some early generation 4k tv's from some makers had very high input lag issues which cause problems for those playing games on them as the input lag makes your reactions to playing the game slower and delayed making it harder and not fun to play. But these same slow tv's still handle movies fine as the audio is delayed to match the video chain delay time so the only thing you notice is a small lag when pushing pause or skip etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis