Denon (AVR) Ideal Operating Temperature?

Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
Hello fellow audioholics,

My apologies if this has been asked - I searched and didn't find anything specific so I figured I'd tap the collective wisdom for insights. My Denon AVR-3700H sits 2nd from the bottom in the rack. Outlaw 5000x sits on the bottom shelf. I have an AC Infinity AIRCOM T9 that sits on top of the Denon. The rack is on the floor in a closet that has no door.

I've read 85 degrees is a reasonable temperature to shoot for? I've been running the AC Infinity on "Smart" mode and it seems to be able to keep it at 85ish pretty easy no matter how long I have it on and what content is being run through it. Fans spin up as needed which is very cool (no pun intended). My question is - how does 85 degrees sound for a general temperature? The Sony AVR I had in there previously seemed to run a bit cooler than the Denon.

Thanks for the info and advice,
Tony C.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic

My apologies if this has been asked - I searched and didn't find anything specific so I figured I'd tap the collective wisdom for insights. My Denon AVR-3700H sits 2nd from the bottom in the rack. Outlaw 5000x sits on the bottom shelf. I have an AC Infinity AIRCOM T9 that sits on top of the Denon. The rack is on the floor in a closet that has no door.

I've read 85 degrees is a reasonable temperature to shoot for? I've been running the AC Infinity on "Smart" mode and it seems to be able to keep it at 85ish pretty easy no matter how long I have it on and what content is being run through it. Fans spin up as needed which is very cool (no pun intended). My question is - how does 85 degrees sound for a general temperature? The Sony AVR I had in there previously seemed to run a bit cooler than the Denon.

Tony C.
Is your shelf adjustable? If so, give it a few more inches of space if possible.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Tony C.
85 degrees is good (as long as it is Farenheit)!
The rate of heat transfer is very much tied to the differential between the temperature of the heat sink and the temperature of the air passing by it, so pulling more cool air into the unit every time the rising hot air reaches 85 is going to ensure efficient cooling from the heat sinks.

Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
Is your shelf adjustable? If so, give it a few more inches of space if possible.

They are - but between the Xbox, Cox set top box, and Apple TV, power conditioner, space is almost out. I have about 4 inches above the Denon (almost 1/2 of that is the AC Infinity).

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
They are - but between the Xbox, Cox set top box, and Apple TV, power conditioner, space is almost out. I have about 4 inches above the Denon (almost 1/2 of that is the AC Infinity).
My Yamaha also sits inside a rack, with around 4 inches and I play music at 50-60 for 1 hr continuos and it never gets hot.

Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
The rate of heat transfer is very much tied to the differential between the temperature of the heat sink and the temperature of the air passing by it, so pulling more cool air into the unit every time the rising hot air reaches 85 is going to ensure efficient cooling from the heat sinks.
LOL agreed KEW 85degF :cool:. That's what I'm hoping - heat rising up and getting directed into the AC Infinity and out the front. Appreciate the input!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
What could possibly be above a receiver in a rack?
Depends on the rack, who installed everything, how much space they left for it, whether the shelves have slots for ventilation....

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
bingo.. a good fan that pulls out heat creates a vacuum that will draw in cool air and insure longer amp life , as well as allow you to turn up the volume without overheating the amp

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
For 1/5th the price you can use the AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7. No need to punch in a temp and it's not a heavy device to put on top the receiver. I connect it to the same power strip as the receiver so they both go on or off together.

Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic
Also - not sure how everyone feels about these but the rack is one of the open designed NavePoint racks (15U) - all shelves are ventilated so I'm hopeful that will aid in air flow bottom to top. I did make a sort of caster cart from scratch (5/8in base painted black) that the rack sits on with caster wheels. If I had it to do over again, I would have spec'd one with wheels already (although the project didn't take more than a couple hours). All in all its much more convenient than my previous setup. I left a bit of extra slack in the cabling coming in so I can pull the entire rack out a few feet and tinker if needed.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
For 1/5th the price you can use the AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7. No need to punch in a temp and it's not a heavy device to put on top the receiver. I connect it to the same power strip as the receiver so they both go on or off together.

those "ultra cheap" ac infinity fans are great.. $10-20 and you are all set .. don't bother with thermal activation unit's, imo..... at $10, just grab a new fan when it wears out ,, maybe a $10 a yr expense to keep an amp 50% longer(just a guess , but i'd bet money it's close)...

Tony Cardenas

Tony Cardenas

Junior Audioholic

Agreed on the Multifans - I'm actually running 2 of them in a different setup (cooling the network-related gear which is in a well mounted panel). Those fans are fantastic and I run those 24/7 actually. They are very quiet - for sure some great gear.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis