Denon AVR-A1H what a Beast

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I think manufacturers know that a lot of hobbyists put a lot of value on the ability to use one box to do it all. In that case, the A1H is currently a great value for those who do want to run 15, or 13 channels. The overall cost with all the DL licenses would be about $8,000, that's still a lot less than the Marantz "separates".

For those who only need 11 channels max, there's always the Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer alternatives, and save a few thousand dollars.

People who only want 5 or 7 channels, they are unfortunately out of luck as there are currently nothing they can buy that can match the feature sets of the Onkyo/Pioneer/D+M/Arcam/NAD/Monolith/McIntosh except with only 7 channels + 2-4 sub channels.

Anthem does have the MRX540 that may fit, but if Dirac Live is a must, then no, it isn't an option.
At the 5.1 and 7.1 levels the Integra/Pioneer/Onkyo's or Denon's are good value (although you will get a few additional height channels - which can also be used as additional zones in some cases)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In my opinion, people should not spend that much on speakers, what's the difference between a $10,000 pair of speakers vs. a $20,000 pair? At 10K I should be able to purchase a great pair of speakers. There should be no need to spend more, if not, I have wasted my money.

That said, I believe people make poor purchases, not because it makes them happy but due to marketing. Saying that superfluous, useless features that drive up the price of a product are purchased because they make you happy is a bit of a cop-out.

That Denon unit is priced at $6,500 and it doesn't have Dirac Live, which most people in this forum have opined is a superior room correct software to Audyssey. That would be a useful feature for a premium-price product. However, they want to give you useless stuff like 15 channels, when small rooms don't even need it.
Depends on the speakers...and their furniture-ness to an extent. These days I'd consider 30k for a pair of top end speakers not too horrible depending on what you want. You can do well at 10k, too. I'm cheap but the top end JBL speakers are always saying to me....come on, you know you want to.

The Denon A1H doesn't include a Dirac license, and somewhat agree that maybe they should throw it in at that price (or just make it 7K and include it :) ? Then again maybe someone didn't pay retail, either.

Whose small room are you referring to? I looked back and didn't see OP mentioning size of his room.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Depends on the speakers...and their furniture-ness to an extent. These days I'd consider 30k for a pair of top end speakers not too horrible depending on what you want. You can do well at 10k, too. I'm cheap but the top end JBL speakers are always saying to me....come on, you know you want to.

The Denon A1H doesn't include a Dirac license, and somewhat agree that maybe they should throw it in at that price (or just make it 7K and include it :) ? Then again maybe someone didn't pay retail, either.

Whose small room are you referring to? I looked back and didn't see OP mentioning size of his room.
By small room I mean not a commercial theatre. All home theaters, dedicated rooms or not, are small rooms.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
By small room I mean not a commercial theatre. All home theaters, dedicated rooms or not, are small rooms.
Yeah I’ve seen “dedicated HT” rooms in 6,000-SF houses that are 16’x13’x10’.

My room is 26’x22’x14’ and I use 5 bed-speakers and 4 ceiling speakers.

But my point is that in any hobby, the heart wants what it wants, not what you or I think what everyone else needs. Some people love the feeling of overkill. Some people will spend $12-15K on processors. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, familiar with that general definition but then there are "small" rooms plenty big enough for what a processor/avr can handle in terms of speakers.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The 8500 and A1H should make similar power.

View attachment 63534
The A1H likely has more output power with 2CH driven at 4 ohms over the 8500 due to the larger power supply. They also did some upgrades to the amp sections of the A1H for higher current output at low impedance. I'm curious to measure one of these IF I get caught up with other projects.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief

Don’t you hate it when speakers won’t stop talking to you lol. I have the same problem with the JBLs, Revels and Perlisten. If my wife could pick the right Powerball numbers I could give in to the voices. Hopefully someday.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I want that $25K Focal AVR w/ the Grande Utopia. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You mean the Theta Casablanca V processor?

Well, the Theta is only $20K while the Focal is a $25K, so the Focal gotta sound better. :D :D
Of course, otherwise why would they make the Focal, for $5,000 more? Same will apply to AVRs and AVPs, otherwise why would Masimo bother making the AV10, for even more dollars but no power amps whereas the A1H that has the same DAC, vol control Opamps in the audio circuitry, and same DSP engines too, but..:D:D People just have to forget about bench tests and go by their ears that don't lie like specs and measurements do.

Last edited:
E

EBN

Audioholic
The A1H likely has more output power with 2CH driven at 4 ohms over the 8500 due to the larger power supply. They also did some upgrades to the amp sections of the A1H for higher current output at low impedance. I'm curious to measure one of these IF I get caught up with other projects.
From HCFR; Power supply +3,5kg and bigger block capacitors.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
From HCFR; Power supply +3,5kg and bigger block capacitors.

According the Audiovision.de's measurements (likely at 1% THD+N), the AVC-A110 output about 6.5% more than the AVC-A110, and the AVC-A1H about 10.4% more, than the AVC-X8500H.

Totally negligible, if we think in terms of dB in SPL. It's time to switch over to class D, Marantz took the lead, this time, Denon is going to follow, soon, I think.;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
According the Audiovision.de's measurements (likely at 1% THD+N), the AVC-A110 output about 6.5% more than the AVC-A110, and the AVC-A1H about 10.4% more, than the AVC-X8500H.

Totally negligible, if we think in terms of dB in SPL. It's time to switch over to class D, Marantz took the lead, this time, Denon is going to follow, soon, I think.;)
They should all have class D 200W x 7CH driven and 400WPC into 4 ohms. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Marantz has a class d avr now?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Marantz has a class d avr now?
No but their 16 channel Amp 10 is class D. To me, it is silly for most people to spend $9,000 on such an amp when they could spend less than $1,500 for a more powerful class D amp for the LCR and then buy spend another $3,000 on an amp for the surround and height channel. I don't buy those who claim you need the same 200 W/400 W 8/4 ohm for all channels. Some could benefit from such things if they have larger HT room and full size speakers spread out, maybe guys like Gene, or TLSGuy. The rest of us average HT users could be sill, even stupid to throw money at the likes of the Amp 10. It is beyond obsessed, that's why I call it stupid.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis