Denon AVR 5803 in two channel music

G

George

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Need some information here.
I feed a six channel output from my Universal Player(Marantz DV 8300) into the Ext Ch. inputs on the Denon. The Marantz does not have a separate two channel output for pure stereo.
If I play a normal stereo CD and select Ext. on the Denon and Pure Direct, will I be bypassing the Denon's DAC's? In other words does it have an analog bypass.
When I play a DVD Audio or SACD, how do I either engage or disengage the DACS on the Denon?
Thanks,
George.</font>

S

SoftEng

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>My guess from experience with other receivers is that the 6 channel input on the Denon does not go through any DACs - its analog all the way. &nbsp;The 6 channel input is meant to be used with external decoders that have already done the D-to-A conversion.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Goerge,

I too have the DV-8300 but with Denon 3803.
As far as I can tell it works like this:
When connected to the Ext. input, there's no ADC/DAC in the receiver at all. The analog goes stright to the power amps. What you get from the 'Pure Direct' is the turning off of the video circuits.

To have no ADC/DAC in the receiver not through the External inputs, the analog mode + pure direct have to selected and the subwoofer 's channel level have to be set to off.

The DV 8300 have 5.1 analog outputs + 2 extra L/R channel ouputs, so you can wire 6 cabels to the external inputs of the receiver for pure analog apming by the receiver, and the 2 extra L/R outputs to the analog inputs of CD or DVD on the receiver to have them ADC/DAC processed by the receiver.

With the Denon 3803 I've found it better to use the external inputs exclusivly for both 5 channel and 2 channel sources. The Marantz (it seems to me) does a noticably better processing then the receiver.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>George

On page 24 in my manual (Europeean version AVC-1SR) it is stated that when engagin pure direct, the digital prossessing for ext. in is turned off.

Hope this helps

Christian</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi George if your also using the Marantz for video or if you have a digital cable (coax opt) attached, you can put a regular cd in the Maratnz, pressinput select and the 5803 will find which digital input your using.

After that you can use any dsp mode you want.

Peter m.</font>

G

George

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the inputs guys, it is begining to make more sense.
One question though, on some threads I have read that even when you &quot;bypass&quot; on a digital receiver(e.g. the A1SR), the fact is that the volume control is digital and so still &quot;digitises&quot; the sound, fact or fiction? Theoretically meaning that you still go through ADC/DAC. Any clarity on the issue?
Thanks,
George.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis