Denon AVR-3805 Volume Issues

B

blackpug

Enthusiast
Maybe someone has an answer to this. On my 3805 it seems like the volume control is off. To get it to a normal movie listening volume you need to turn the volume up to -10. Seems like a significant advancement given that it starts at -80. Is it supposed to be this way? I ended up bumping up the FR/C/FL by about 7 db to get it back down to -25 for the listening level (that way there is a bit more room for adjustment). Is this normal? I am using a set of Aperion speakers in the front (522D-LR's and a 522D-VAC for the center). Spoke to them at Tweeter today (and took it back in) and they said that was normal (and should I believe them... LOL)

On my Sony STR-DA333ES I would only need to turn it up about a third of the way.

M

moab

You know I was wondering the same thing. My HK 525 if I put it to -10 It would blow me out of the house. I hear that the 3805 goes to +18.

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
From the factory, the 3805 volume goes from -80 dB to +18 dB. Adjusting the channel level trims will change this range, as will the way the 3805 measures and calibrates your speakers. If you want to adjust the channel levels, press the Tone Control button on the front of the 3805 to access bass and treble settings, and then hit the "enter" button to access channel levels. You can crank each one up to +12 dB. My 3805 goes up to +2 dB, which would be loud enough to break windows. :D

Jason

The numbers mean nothing and cannot be compared from one brand to another. I listen to some DVDs at -6. The last part of the volume (from -10 to +18) is almost logarithmic in its control over the volume level.

The digitally-controlled analogue volume on the Denon is just able to provide more fine tuning in the lower regions - that's why you can go from infinity to -15 without blowing your head off.

We'll need to do an article on this, but the bottom line is that you're not entering distortion at those levels and you can indeed get it fairly loud - so it's all good. You'll find the remaining numbers from -5 to +18 will result in SIGNIFICANT volume gain shoudl you venture into that area.

B

blackpug

Enthusiast
Thanks Clint for that explanation. Eases my mind alot. Its been several years since I bought an A/V receiver (and not one at this level before). If it had been $300 for it I probably wouldnt worry about it too much (little bit more than that LOL). You are right about the upper end up the range - the power is there. The only other issue was figuring out that on the Autosetup you had to hit the left arrow to get it to start (kept hitting the center button and getting bumped out - but they didn't know how to do it either at Tweeter which made me feel better). Father's Day worked out well with a new receiver. One of the few times I really got to crank it up without "the walls are shaking" comments - Poor HSU sub never gets a real workout in my house unless the wife is out of town.

A

Access Denied

Enthusiast
So let me see if I get what you are saying. If I want louder sound at a lower volume setting on the 3805 then I should set the trims to say +5 or +10 and then re-calibrate? I also have to set the volume to -10 or so to be loud. I watched Gladiator last night on -10 and after the first sceen the 3805 was extremely hot. I have it in a open cabinet with 3 1/2 inches of space above the 3805 for cooling and it still got really hot. I have since mounted a cooling fan on the top but it seems I really have to push this unit hard to get volume.

B

blackpug

Enthusiast
Access Denied, know what ya mean. Does seem to be better with the adjustments I made. Does get warm but just seems strange why Denon sets up the receiver like this - the first 40 of the volume scale are just not usable - if my ears were that sensitive I would have got the 3 watt unit (LOL). Its just when you drop that amount of scratch you expect things to be alittle diff (eg. sounds to be sweeter, beer that much colder when its on)
Might have to bring one of my lab rat friends in with some measuring equipment to see whats going on. Enough pissing and moaning

A

Access Denied

Enthusiast
What adjustments did you make that made a difference? I am very happy with the 3805.

B

blackpug

Enthusiast
I kicked up the db's for each of the channels - made it read 75db on the test tone at -25. Really "...robbing Peter to pay Paul..." by doing that. More of a psycological thing than anything else.

"... but this goes to 11..."

U

Unregistered

blackpug said:
Maybe someone has an answer to this. On my 3805 it seems like the volume control is off. To get it to a normal movie listening volume you need to turn the volume up to -10. Seems like a significant advancement given that it starts at -80. Is it supposed to be this way? I ended up bumping up the FR/C/FL by about 7 db to get it back down to -25 for the listening level (that way there is a bit more room for adjustment). Is this normal? I am using a set of Aperion speakers in the front (522D-LR's and a 522D-VAC for the center). Spoke to them at Tweeter today (and took it back in) and they said that was normal (and should I believe them... LOL)

On my Sony STR-DA333ES I would only need to turn it up about a third of the way.
Not all potentimeteres used in volume circuits behave the same way. Or attenuates linearly. Some are logarithmic, like yours. I also have the same response from my Denon AVD2020 processor/preamp. I have to be in the -10db point up to -6db to have decent SPLs in my room. And that depends on some CDs/DVDs recording levels. Some CDs are lourder or softer than others.

I have noticed some volume controls in AV recievers and integrated actually can sound loud even just a quarter to a thrid of the way up. I think that's another technical design to please the marketing department. Knowing that audio salesguys will never allow their amps to be maxed out in a showroom, making the amp sound loud even at the 1/3 position can impress the unwary. "Hey look, if it can sound that loud at that volume, imagine how loud it can be at full!!!" Sold.

B

blackpug

Enthusiast
that seems to be the general consensus on this matter. But I'm still curious The power is there, just in a narrow band.

B

blackpug

Enthusiast
after alot of checking around it seems like this is the case - the receiver is calibrated to give 75db at 0 - hence the apparent low volume in the bottom range of the scale - so -10 would be 65db, etc. Something to do with DD calibration? Also a reference to a means of limiting noise on the unit. With a low output from the preamp it limits the noise and a quality amplifier would keep it from becoming apparent or enhancing it. Parts of the explanation were not really clear to me (never really delved into the technical aspects of quality audio reproduction before). The bottom line comes down to that it does sound good. Have to check this out with a SPL meter that I have (too late to do now).

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Some vendors set the 0db position in the volume knob to deliver the rated power output of the amp at the rated THD level. Above this point, you can expect a steady rise in THD. Thus, the volume knob is design to travel a lot before reaching this point starting maybe in the -90db to represent the noise floor of the amp all the way up to +12db or full power at the highest THD level. In many line level preamps, 0db indicates no gain or attenuation from the input signal, giving out a 1.0 volt RMS to the amp to drive it to the continuous rated power.

A

ashera

Enthusiast
ahhh, how stupid from me! I also thought this receiver idd notpush my speakers! i was only running the dial to 0db, because i never expected positive numbers ( I am from a recording background were there is nothing but nasty clipping above digital 0db level ). I am getting much better performance from my REGA BRIO 35w amp than from the 3805, but now I know I have to do better calibration, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis