Denon AVR 3805 Optical Input Problem

S

seattlecosmo

Audiophyte
I recently purchased a Monster optical cable to use to connect my DirectTV DVR to my Denon AVR 3805 receiver. Currently, my sound comes from a set of RCA plugs between the two pieces of equipment, and I have been told I could get superior sound using the optical input instead. I connected the optical cable to an optical input 1 on my Denon, and then went into the setup to assign my TV to that input. However, when I made the connection, I got nothing different than I had been getting with the RCA plugs. I disconnected the RCA cables, but when I did that I got no sound, even though the optical cable was connected and assigned to Optical input 1. How do I get the equipment to pick up on the optical cable instead of the RCA plugs? I have a feeling I am not making a proper setup assignment, but I am not sure what to do. Does anyone have any guidance as to why I cannot get the optical input to generate my sound instead of the cheesy RCA plugs? Thanks.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
A big issue with Denons is a button on the remote marked "input". Press this button as many times as it takes until the the receiver says "Auto".

On my one Denon remote, it is a single button near the system setup buttons. On my other Denon remote, there are three buttons linked together as "input". I don't know how your remote is configured. If it has the three button setup, hit the "mode" button until it says "Auto".

Last edited:
S

seattlecosmo

Audiophyte
Thanks. I did try that, but nothing changed. Any other ideas out there?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, seattlecosmo.

Dave mentioned the first thing that came to mind in terms of the receiver, so I'll poke at the cable and the DVR to start with.

1. Now, this might sound patronizing, but it's not meant to be. On your optical cable, did you remove any plastic or rubber caps that were on the ends? To some, that is obvious. To others, it's just not something that they think about.

2. I'd also suggest disconnecting the optical cable from the Denon, turn on the DVR, and see if there is any light emanating from the end of the cable. Don't stare down the tube, but you should be able to see some light coming out of the ends. If there isn't any light, then no signal is making it to the Denon. If that's the case, we'll pursue this idea further.

Adam

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Just thinking about this, if your source has digital coax give that a try. It will be either an orange or black RCA type connection. If you can get the coax connection to work you will get exactly the same signal as if you were using optical. At least that way you could confirm that the system setup does/does not work. The current problem could be something as simple as a break in the optical cable itself.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For digital inputs you have to go to the setup screen and assign them properly. I can't remember the exact steps but you can just press setup on your remote and play with it, or read the relevant sections of the manual. If you have not done so then please do it first.

J

JC2020

Audiophyte
Was this resolved for seattlecosmo? I have the exact problem. I have a CD player connected by digital audio optical cable to Digital Input 1 but I also have RCA cables connecting the CD player to the receiver at the CD labeled RCA inputs. I always thought I was playing through the Digital cable which I set up properly per the manual as far as I know. However, when trying to connect another digital audio optical cable to Digital Input 2 and getting no sound I did some troubleshooting on Digital Input 1. I disconnected the RCA cables from the CD player and get no sound which I had all this time assumed was coming over the Digital Audio Optical cable. How do I get the CD player to use Digital Input 1? I have configured it to do that, or so I thought, per section 3-1 setting the Digital In Assignment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis