Denon AVR-3803 .....  Reviews?

L

LongBinh6

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I thought I noticed somewhere on this site a reference to an upcoming review on the Denon AVR-3803 receiver.  However, now I can't seem to find it.  I am seriously considering this model or it's predecessor the 3802 (also sold as model 1082 ... exactly the same unit).

Has anyone seen a reveiw in a magazine or on a website (other than at Audioreview.com).

Does anyone own one of these and have an opinion?  The only negative I can see is no front panel inputs.  Is the 3803 still made in Japan like the 3802?  How's the remote on the 3803?    

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!  
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>Hi Josh,
For the last 2 months, I have been considering which receiver to buy. I searched the internet for reviews and articles, visited dealers to listen and get advice, looked at specs on mfg websites. I tried an Onkyo 797 for a couple of weeks, took it back and waited for the new models. I narrowed the choices down to the Pioneer Elite 45TX and the Denon 3803.
My final choice was the 3803 and I have it on order now.
This is the hottest selling receiver at this pricepoint. &nbsp;Many dealers are out of stock. &nbsp;I decided on Denon because:
1. The electronics (chips, DSPs, DACs) are the best in this
price range.
2. Denon reputation for quality (and yes this model is still built in Japan and I think this means something)
3. I was able to reach a real person who would talk to me at
Denon customer service....and got answers to questions.
(3 calls to Pioneer resulted only in long waiting on hold and never got any answers).
4. I found several references to problems with the Elite on
speakers with less than 8 ohms. &nbsp;My fronts and center channel are NHT Evolution which have a nominal 6 ohm rating.

I like the looks of the Elite, and I would like to have that
MCACC auto speaker setup feature....but I think the
Denon is the right choice.

Odd as it may seem after having said all this, if I were getting
anything other than the Denon, I would get the Sony ES.
Sony doesn't get any good press...but their ES receivers
are solid performers.</font>

L

LongBinh6

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks J.C., however I'm not Josh.

I already eliminated the Sony STR-DA4ES for a number of reasons including the review in the current issue of S &amp; V magazine and also what I read in the Audioholics.com staff review of the DA4ES vs the TA-E9000ES. &nbsp;The failure to list the &quot;all channels driven&quot; power figures in the S &amp; V review concerns me. &nbsp;The noise level (A-wtd) for multichannel/analog input (I do plan to get into DVD-audio soon) was -79.2 db, which is considerably worse than the reviewer's recommended minimum of 90 db for this test. &nbsp;Also, I played with the DA4ES at the local dealer and really didn't like the remote at all, too few buttons and lots of LCD menus to hunt thru.

Thanks for your input. &nbsp;I'm still trying to find any reviews on the Denon models I mentioned above. &nbsp;I have all the specs and features as I already downloaded the owners manuals from Denon.com. &nbsp;I think the 3803 is the right choice. &nbsp;I'm not in a big hurry so I'm taking my time. &nbsp;I already own a Denon 3200 and A Sony ES (pro-logic only model). &nbsp;The 3200 has been super. &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JCC21K

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi Long,
I am going with the Denon also. I wish it had some
inputs and outputs on the front like most receivers do.
Denon needs to think a little more about ergonomics.
But they have the best electronics.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis