Denon AVR 2105/Sony DVD set up - totally stumped

C

CPA

Audiophyte
Hello all,

I just upgraded my home theater system to include a Denon AVR 2105 and a Sony DVD/CD changer - DVp-NC875V. I have 5 channel surround with Paradigm speakers.

I believe I properly followed all the directions - I used a digital coax to go from the DVD player to the receiver, a component cable for video, and then I also used a 6 channel audio cable for the SACD. I have a BIG problem though. I get audio when playing either a CD or a DVD, but the CD's play at an ear splitting volume, the DVD plays loud as well, and the master volume on the receiver does not seem to be able to lower the volume at all. Meanwhile, I ran my TV sound through the receiver but that seems to work fine. What the heck did I do wrong? I am worried there may be some incompatibility or other issue and would like to make sure everything gets under control while I'm under my 30 day return period.

Thanks.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Did you plug your DVD player into the right input on the receiver? That DVD player may also have a Dynamic Range function that is put on. Check that. Also, have you tried using a composite cable for audio to see if it's your audio cable that's the problem?

Hope my tips help! :)

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Did you do the speaker setup on the denon? Master volume on zero,each speakers set with a RS spl meter to around 75? You need to do the same in the player for SACD as the only thing the reciever does is volume when playing those. Nice setup,will sound great when dialed in.

3beanlimit

Junior Audioholic
Somes been covered already but it's good to get it all...

First, what input are you using to listen to CD's? Depending on which unit has the better DAC is the one you should be using.

If it's the receiver, you should be using the digital input and not the analog inputs.

This might also explain why it's playing so loud. If your using the analog inputs, then you probably haven't setup the levels in the DVD menus like was mentioned above. Your sending full signal strength to your reciever..

You need to setup the audio volumes not only on the Denon but also the Sony...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis