C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Well...I chose this unit because the other yammies are too high priced...I hope it's good.

My granny phoned audio ark today and they are holding the receiver untill next wensday when i'm gonna go pick it up. I'm sooo excited!

What do you other audio freaks think of this unit? :D ;)

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I think that...

you were very smart in researching your purchase and not just snapping something up from BB or FS. That 1705 is a heck of a starter for a HT.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Good to know! I was kind of skeptical about it seeing that it only has 7 DSP modes. However, I must say that I like a more "normal" sound other then a hall sound or wahever, since ive used this Aiwa which has no DSP modes. Also, I dont think i'll be able to fit a 5.1 system in my room in my new house...mabye just a sub, two mains and a center channel..oh well...also, i wont be able to use the receiver 'till i move. We are building a house out in the country. Once it gets built and we get moved in and all ill be able to use it! :) We are thinking the house will be built in around 10 weeks or so.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Also, I have a question about the A/B speaker setup. On the back of the receiver there is a little list in the bottom right corner. It says:

Front A or B / 6 ~ 16 Ohms
A + B / 12 ~16 Ohms
Center / 6 ~ 16 Ohms
Surround / 6 ~ 16 Ohms
Surr. Back / 6 ~ 16 Ohms

If I want to use A+B at the same time, do I have to have speakers that have 12 to 16 ohms? or is this chart saying that the ohms multiply? Please explain to me how this works. Thanks
Trav

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Anyone? Are there even speakers that have 12 to 16 ohms?

kay

kay

Audioholic
It is saying each speaker must be 6+ ohms if you want to drive two pairs (A+B) at the same time.

Congrats on your choice btw, I'm in the same boat as you - can't wait for my first receiver to arrive and start playing :)

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Well, I got it...but it's defective. What happened

I plugged it in (just to a wall outlet, no speakers, no RCA cords or anything plugged into it) to see how it was.

Not good.

It turns on for about 5 seconds, then it shuts off. Also, the light around the power button turns red and blinks rapidly. I read up on this in the manual, its protect mode. Weeeell...

1. Ventelation is good
2. Speaks cant be short curcuited, no speakers connected.

Defective.

So, a guy from the place I bought this from is coming over tomorrow to replace the defective unit with another one.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
That sucks about the defective unit, but it sounds like the service of the shop you bought from is excellent, and that says something.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
kay said:
It is saying each speaker must be 6+ ohms if you want to drive two pairs (A+B) at the same time.
I don't think so Kay. If you connect one pair to terminal A and another pair to terminal B and you want to power both simultaneously by selecting A+B, then the speakers impedance must be rated at 12 ohms or higher.

Two impedances of 12 ohms in parallel will give you an equivalent impedance of 6 ohms, and thats the load the amplifier will see if it has to drive two 12 ohm speakers in parallel.

Yes, it will be tough to find 12 ohm speakers, you may have better luck finding 16 ohm speakers. If you connect two pairs of 8 ohms speakers, stick with either A, or B, not A+B.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
I think that kay is right actually, i read the manual some more and it said what kay said pretty much. However! you could be right...just some experimenting i suppose! :)

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
How do I figure out what my High Pass and Low Pass impendances are?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Cygnus,

Believe me, two parallel impedance will give you half the impedance value. For simplicity, consider resistance only, R(equivalent resistance of two same value resistors in parallel) = R1XR2/R1+R2, this is derived from the basic formula 1/R=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3.........

For 8 ohms resistors, R=8X8/8+8=4 ohms. I wonder why the manual will say otherwise, I'll check when I get another minute.

Your 1705 can take two 8 ohms speakers in parallel (if A+B) is selected, as long as you don't crank you volume up too high.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just checked the manual, and I can see what's happening...

Here's what it says on P.15:

"Be careful when using two pairs of front speakers (A+B) at the same time, since use of speakers with an impedance of 12 to 16 ohms"

This appears to be an incomplete sentence to me. Still, if you use two pairs of identical 12 ohms speakers at the same time, the amplifier will see it as one pair of 6 ohms speaker from the impedance/loading stand point. If you connect two pairs of 6 ohms speakers to the front and power them simultaneously, each channel/amplifier will see a 3 ohm load, and that is definitely not good for your 1705. Another thing that puzzles me is that on another page (34/35 I think), it talks about a speaker selection button that allows you to select A, or B, but no mentioning of A+B. So how do you select A+B anyway?

Hope this help, I just don't want you to cause any damage to your new receiver because part of the manual was poorly written.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Well, ok, I got the receiver and its AWESOME! This system beats out any other system in the house! I am using 2 Pioneer CS-569's for the mains and a Abstract Acoustics center speaker. I dont have enough wire to reach to the back of my room for surround though.

There is two buttons on the front of the receiver, speaker a or b, if you turn them both on, thats A+B.

I would hook one set of speakers up to "speaker system A" and then another set to "speaker system B" not 4 speakers to "Speaker system A"....

I might not use A+B though...i might just use what i use now.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
One question: How do you program the remote with the preset codes in the manual? The manual never mentions how to program the remote, just the codes to use.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis