Denon 5803 as preamp/processor or Anthem AVM20 or 30?

P

Pete Dzwonkas

Audioholic Intern
Im confusing myself on the best course of action here by re-reading brochures/web pages from both manufacturers. Would the Denon 5803 be a decent preamp/surround processor over the Anthem AVM 20 or 30? It appears the Anthem is a superb unit, and I can get the Denon for slightly less money (around $500 less). Anyone try this? I would be using Rotel 3 x 200 amp for the fronts and could use the Denon for the rears, or any of the slew of Haflers I own. Plan on an SVS PB12+2 sub and B&W 703's, Denon 2910 also.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Pete;

The Denon AVR-5803 is now discountinued. You may wish to hold out for the new AVR-4806 and preamp out the front 3 channels. The 4806 will contain a variant of the new Audyssey room correction system which we are currently authoring a paper on. This new room correction system is just about the best thing out there as far as that technology goes and definately a value add, especially when trying to integrate satellite and subwoofer systems.

H

happy540i

Junior Audioholic
I am using the 5803 as a preamp only. The speakers I use are powered. I lot of people will say why waste your money and pay for the power amps and not use them. Well I just like the features of the 5803 and the way it sounds. It does everything I want it to do. Gene is right the 5803 is discontinued but if you can still get it I highly recommend this receiver. I also have my system bi-amp and the result is a clean and powerful sounding system.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Not 100% sure on this, but I've not seen any Denon receivers with balanced I/O, which is at least an option, if not standard, on the Anthems.

If any of your amps have balanced inputs (probable on the Haflers, maybe on the Rotels) this should be a consideration.

P

Pete Dzwonkas

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for reminding me of that. Are balanced inputs better sounding? More expensive cabling now....oh well.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Pete Dzwonkas said:
Thanks for reminding me of that. Are balanced inputs better sounding? More expensive cabling now....oh well.
Expensive cabling sure is prettier than what you get at Radio Shack, but does it provide an audible difference in sound? The odds of that are somewhere between slim and none. But if makes you happy and you can afford it then knock yourself out. I have been known to over spend on toys from time to time myself.

Nick

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
The Anthem is on my wish list mainly because it has the best bass mangmnt of any preamp in its class/price range
crossover every 5hz from 25-160hz
selectable for each channel ie; front 35hz , center 80hz , rear 60hz
full bass mangmnt and speaker distance for multi ch analog inputs ie; sacd/dvda
better noise level than thr krell showcase
i love this preamp
just wish it were mine

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Pete Dzwonkas said:
Not enough to be painful - snake oil is not necessary. Recording studio quality XLR cables (what your movie soundtracks, audiophile recordings, Spice Girls CDs, etc... were made with in the first place) are good enough to run dozens of meters and can be had from Guitar Center or online for very reasonable prices (try http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/cables/top15.php for a starting point). A 1 meter Monster XLR cable is under $20. You probably shouldn't spend more than $150 - $200 for wiring a full 7.1 setup.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Pete Dzwonkas said:
Oh, and as far as the sound, balanced cabling does only 2 things...

(1) Carry the signal at a higher level

(2) Use Common Mode Rejection with 2 discreet conductors in addition to a dedicated shield

... to better overcome environmental RF and EM interference.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis