Denon 4306 - streaming from Windows Media Player 11

S

sommert

Enthusiast
Just picked up this receiver and I am very pleased with it. The HDMI uplink compared to the Onkyo I just took back is night and day.

It got it connected to my home network via the built in ethernet and able to stream internet radio - Very cool. I also setup Windows Media Player 11 on one of my PCs and shared my MP3 library out. The Denon sees my PC and I am able to connect. However, even though I have thousands of songs, the Denon says "empty" no matter what I chose. I also tried creating a playlist to see if the Denon would see it. It sees the playlist, but again shows "empty" when I open the folder. I restarted windows media player and checked about every setting I could think of. Anyone had any luck with this feature??

Thanks...

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
Have you tried to send the internet radio to ZONE2/ZONE3

sommert said:
Just picked up this receiver and I am very pleased with it. The HDMI uplink compared to the Onkyo I just took back is night and day.
What format do you upconvert your PQ to ? Is it really that great ?

I got it connected to my home network via the built in ethernet and able to stream internet radio - Very cool.
I wil try it next week, possibly when I'm done setting the network and the HT.
Did you try sending the streamed signal to ZONE2/ZONE3 ???
I am thinking about amplified (speakers) outlet, not PRE/PRO - as they should NOT work, according to manual.

Sorry, can not help you with your questions, as I am just starting exploring this BEAST myself :cool:

S

sommert

Enthusiast
My TV will accept 1080i and 720p but max resolution is 720p so I have it set there right now. If I feed it any more than that the TV is just going to convert it down so I dont see any advantage to 1080i unless I am missing something. Compared the the Onkyo 804 I had for about 12 hours before I took it back is much better. Right now I have an Oppo DVD player (also HDMI to Denon) and a Standard DTV Box (SVideo), which is being upgraded to HD next week.

The issue with the MP3 stream is not what output they are sent to. The issue is that it's not seeing the files in the library. I will putz with it some more....

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
Misunderstanding

sommert said:
The issue with the MP3 stream is not what output they are sent to. The issue is that it's not seeing the files in the library. I will putz with it some more....
I know it's not YOUR issue. I dd not write that question in order to to help you (cause I don't know how) but just wondered if you ever tried ZONE2 output for streaming ?
Because that's something I have in mind for my future application ...

S

sommert

Enthusiast
WeAreSurrounded said:
I know it's not YOUR issue. I dd not write that question in order to to help you (cause I don't know how) but just wondered if you ever tried ZONE2 output for streaming ?
Because that's something I have in mind for my future application ...
Sorry I misunderstood. No I have not tried that. I have actually only had the Denon for less than 24 hours.

E

EdS

Enthusiast
I believe read on some forum (maybe over at AVS) that the 4306 is not compatible with WMP 11, could you try reverting back to WMP10?

S

sommert

Enthusiast
Figured it out....

Actually I didn’t even think WMP 10 had the network sharing feature built in. I thought I read that it was introduced in 11, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, I figured out the issue.

I have about 5 PCs in the house + a file server. The machine I setup WMP 11 on has it’s MP3 library hosted on the file server via a network drive mapping. WMP works fine this way but it appears the sharing function requires the MP3 files to be on the local drive where the sharing service is running. At least the Denon doesn’t see them unless they are local. As soon as I copied some MP3 files locally on teh c: drive (my music folder) the Denon picked them up instantly. I would install WMP 11 on my server but I can’t because it’s Windows Server R2 64bit and WMP will only run on XP. I believe this is probably a WMP issue or expected behavior and not Denon’s. It's cool to play MP3 files from the AVR, but the interface is rather clunky IMO.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
sommert said:
...It got it connected to my home network via the built in ethernet and able to stream internet radio - Very cool. I also setup Windows Media Player 11 on one of my PCs and shared my MP3 library out. The Denon sees my PC and I am able to connect. However, even though I have thousands of songs, the Denon says "empty" no matter what I chose. I also tried creating a playlist to see if the Denon would see it. It sees the playlist, but again shows "empty" when I open the folder. I restarted windows media player and checked about every setting I could think of. Anyone had any luck with this feature??

Thanks...
I wonder if Yamaha's engineers were moonlighting at Denon. I have the exact same problems with my Yammy!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis