Denon 2105 - buyer's remorse - should I switch to 2805 or 3805?

C

CPA

Audiophyte
I just bought the Denon 2105 and was quite excited. After hooking up my plasma TV and DVD, however, I noticed that the video and audio were out of synch just a tad - likely due to the processing time. I see that both the 2805 and 3805 have an audio delay function that will (hopefully) fix that.
I understand that the 3805 adds the digital SACD capability, but I'm fine with analog given that I'll barely use the SACD feature as is. The 3805 has a HDCD decoder but I can't seem to figure out what that is.

Any other major differences between the 3 that I should consider in my decision (other than price of course!)? Recommendations? I'm looking to keep this receiver for at least 5 years and don't want to be too short sighted now.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
$700 will get you the 3805. That's a $140 a year over five years. No more buyers remorse. Get the 3805.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
get the 3805....I know I would always be doubting myself so just for piece of mind..., trust everything you hear . It's award winning. i have seen at least 5 reviews saying it's the best receiver ever heard. cnet.com has a good article. I would get the Yammie 2500 before the Denon 2805 as my second choice, if price is an issue. I have no doubt the Yamaha would have performed to my satisfaction if I bought that.

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
i agree with johnnt 3805 is awesome it wont let u down. and the yamaha would be good for price issues. damn i wish i have the 3805 :(

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
CPA said:
I understand that the 3805 adds the digital SACD capability, but I'm fine with analog given that I'll barely use the SACD feature as is.
If you mean SACD via Denon Link 3, then yes. BUT! Whilst the amp could accept a digital SACD signal there are no Denon dvd players that can actually pass one via Denon Link yet. They are still awaiting permission.

The 3805 has a HDCD decoder but I can't seem to figure out what that is.
It's for HDCD encoded CD's. See here for info.

http://www.hdcd.com

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I have lots of CD's from that list on HDCD...think I will go dig up a few!! Cool.

E

emason17

Audioholic Intern
I was also looking for a receiver that is similar to the 2805, so I was looking at the 1905 and 2105. I am getting someone to set it up professionally. Is there any difference and are there other receivers < $500 that I should be aware of?

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Another vote for 3805...

My 3805 is my Micheal Corleone...it makes me most proud than any of my other Denon siblings...particularly that Fredo-like 2200 Universal of mine!

There is no feature I wish I had that the 3805 doesn't have and few features I don't plan on ever taking advantage of. Can't wait till the price of the 3910 comes down so I can take advantage of the Denon-link capability! The 3805 looks great, sounds great, and recieves tons of accolades.

You can't go wrong...

C

CPA

Audiophyte
emason17 said:
I was also looking for a receiver that is similar to the 2805, so I was looking at the 1905 and 2105. I am getting someone to set it up professionally. Is there any difference and are there other receivers < $500 that I should be aware of?
the 1905 and 2105 are very similar. Then there's a decent step up to the 2805 and 3805. Look at the Denon web site for some of the differences. However, some of the keys for me are the audio/video synch, programmable remote on the 2805, additional inputs, and equalizer. The Yamaha 2500 has many of the same features as the Denon 2805 but is cheaper.

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
I HATED the 3805 controller or I would have got the 3805 over tghe Yami v2500

but you can't go wrong with the 3805 or 2805

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis