Deno AVR X1400H to Marantz SR5012, Upgrade??

kamaaina1

kamaaina1

Enthusiast
Hello Folks!

Recently upgraded my home system to a Denon AVR X1400H, with a 3.1 speaker system consisting of a pair of B&W 704 S2’s, B&W ASW608 sub. & B&W M-1 center. Wondering if I’m depriving the speakers and should upgrade to a Marantz SR5012. Listening to mostly vinyl, iPod and cable Music Choice with movies and sports mixed in. Would there be a noticeable upgrade going with the Marantz?
Also, should Audyssey be used for this 3.1 config.?
Thank you all for your time!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello Folks!

Recently upgraded my home system to a Denon AVR X1400H, with a 3.1 speaker system consisting of a pair of B&W 704 S2’s, B&W ASW608 sub. & B&W M-1 center. Wondering if I’m depriving the speakers and should upgrade to a Marantz SR5012. Listening to mostly vinyl, iPod and cable Music Choice with movies and sports mixed in. Would there be a noticeable upgrade going with the Marantz?
Also, should Audyssey be used for this 3.1 config.?
Thank you all for your time!!
That's not really an upgrade at all. The AVR-X1200W (the AVR-X1400H should be a little more powerful) was measured by S&V with the following results:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x1200w-av-receiver-review-test-bench

At 0.1% THD
2 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads 112.8 W
2 Channels Continuously Driven, 4-ohm Loads 139.2 W
5 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-ohm Loads 69.9 W

The 704 S2's impedance is 8 ohm nominal 3.1 ohm minimum and B&W recommended 30 W- 150 W into 8 ohm on unclipped programme

So the AVR-X1400H is actually a good fit, but I think you should set the crossover to 100 Hz or 90 Hz the highest.

I am sure the SR5012 offers a little more power output but it will not make any difference. Your need double the power output to gain 3 dB of spl, and 6 to 10 times the power output to perceive twice as loud.

Upgrading to the AVR-X3400H would be a much better choice because it has Audyssey XT32 that works much better than the SR5012's lower grade XT version.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you play music at moderate levels, you probably want an external amp or beefy avr. The BWs dip into the upper 3ohm range in the critical frequency range.

kamaaina1

kamaaina1

Enthusiast
Sorry, forgot to mention my cabinet space is limited. I found a really good deal on the 3400, but will not fit in “wife’s” cabinet :mad:

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry, forgot to mention my cabinet space is limited. I found a really good deal on the 3400, but will not fit in “wife’s” cabinet :mad:
Nothing a sawsall cant fix. Just explain that all that money spent on the speakers is worthless :D. Show the value

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are in the USA, do not consider it a good ideal unless it is under $599.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you're going to put an avr in a cabinet you might plan on getting a cooling fan, and make sure they both fit....

kamaaina1

kamaaina1

Enthusiast
If you're going to put an avr in a cabinet you might plan on getting a cooling fan, and make sure they both fit....
Might just do that. If I do any kind of listening, I usually open the door. I have the BluRay, Cable box, TT, and AVR all in one cabinet (not by choice) I'm lucky the wife let me use them... ;)

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cabinet looks like an electronic equipment killer, something tells me she won't let you modify the cabinet for ventilation.....you must really love your wife. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis