G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
Yeah Hawk, I look forward to this one in the 5.1 version. I was introduced to the Alan Parsons Project via I Robot in the '70s and now play the On Air CD occasionally in 7-channel stereo mode on my system.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this one.

-GeorgeM

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
GeorgeM, the On Air DTS surround disc is indeed very good, in fact, the track "Apollo" is without a doubt one of the best surround mixes I've come across.

If you want to hear I Robot like never before, it's available in HDAD (actually a DVD-A stereo only) disc. Its like discovering the music all over again as you'll hear sounds you never knew existed on the redbook cd. Their cd Turn of a Friendly Card was also recently released in this same format and is equally as impressive. I can highly recommend both.

Catch Alan Parsons Live Project if you can, they're touring. For touring info and more go to http://www.theavenueonline.info/

Khorn

Khorn

Audioholic Intern
My most realistic sounding SACD is Joe Weed 'The Vultures'. Here is a link to a mini-review I wrote a while back. It's an amazing sounding disc:

The Vultures

U

Unregistered

where did you get the cardigans SACD?!?!

please help me out! thanks

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
I'll have to check out Vultures, that looks interesting.

The E. Power Biggs organ SACD is pretty cool. I have a friend who was a professional organist for years and had the album back in the quad days. He really enjoys it.

For jazz, I like the Jaco Pastorius Big Band SACD. Excellent dynamics, lifelike sound.

P

Pat D

Audioholic
Demo CDs

So many people aren't into seriously listening to music and they are often here for some other purpose, like chatting or eating. As well, most people aren't very much into classical music. There really isn't much opportunity to show off the system, per se. So ordinarily, we just put some background music we think they might like or that fits the mood.

For those who do want to hear a demonstration, we put on something we think they would like, such as Diana Krall, Angele Arsenault, Roger Whittaker, or guitar music ( a sneaky way to get them to listen to classical!).

For seriously showing off the system, well, here's an old list of good recordings:

ANCIENT MUSIC

”The Dante Troubadours,” Martin Best Mediaeval Ensemble. Nimbus 5002

“Songs of Chivalry,” Martin Best Mediaeval Ensemble. Nimbus 5006

“Chominciamento di gioia” (dance music from the time of Boccacio’s Decamerone),. Naxos 8.553131

Praetorius, Dances from the Terpsichore, Westra nos Pijpare. Naxos 8.553865

“:On the Way to Bethlehem” (music of the medieval pilgrim), Ensemble Oni Wytars, Ensemble Unicorn. Naxos 8.553132

ORCHESTRAL

Arnold Bax, Tone Poems (November Woods, The Happy Forest, The Garden of Fand, and Summer Music), Bryden Thomson, Ulster Orchestra. Chandos CHAN 8307

Debussy, “La Mer,” “Le Martyre de saint Sébastien,” “Prélude de l’après-midi d’un faune,” Dutoit, Montreal Symphony Orchestra, London 430 240-2

Feeney, “Dracula,” John Pryce-Jones, Northern Ballet Theatre Orchestra. Naxos 8.553964

Ferde Grofé, “Grand Canyon Suite;” George Gershwin, arr. Bennett, “Porgy and Bess, A Symphonic Picture,” Antal Dorati, Detroit Symphony Orchestra. London 410 110-2

Holst, “The Planets,” Dutoit, Montreal Symphony Orchestra, London 417 553-2 (also on Penguin Classics, Decca 460 606-2)

Ippolitov-Ivanov, “Caucasian Sketches,“ Christopher Lyndon Gee, Sydney Symphony Orchestra. Marco Polo 8.220369

Toshiro Mayuzumi, “Samsara” (tone poem), Baccanales, Phonologie Symphonique, Yoshikazu Fukumura, Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra. Marco Polo 8.220297 Many people may not like this music, which is often percussive and rather clangy.

Mozart, Overtures and “Eine Kleine Nachtmusik,” Bruno Weil, Tafelmusik. Vivarte SK 46695

Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition, Lorin Maazel, Cleveland Orchestra. Telarc CD-80042

Prokofiev, Alexander Nevsky cantata, Lt. Kijé, Charles Dutoit, Choeur et Orchestre symphonique de Montréal. London 430 506-2

Prokofiev, Scenes from the “Romeo and Juliet” ballet, plus Ravel, “Boléro,” etc., Jan Pascal Tortelier, London Symphony Orchestra. Castle CIDC 1001

Respighi, “Pines of Rome,” “Fountains of Rome,” “Feste Romane,” Dutoit, Montreal Symphony Orchestra, London 410 145-2 (also Decca 430 729-2).

Rossini, Overtures, Roger Norrington, London Classical Players. EMI CDC 554091

Smetana, “Ma Vlast“ (“My Homeland“), Antoni Wit, Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra. Naxos 8.550931

Stravinsky, Firebird Suite plus Borodin Music from Prince Igor, Shaw, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, Telarc CD-80039

Deems Taylor, “Through the Looking Glass,” plus Charles Griffes, various orchestral works, Gerard Schwarz, Seattle Symphony Orchestra. Delos DE 3099

Wagner, “The Ride of the Valkyries,” “Siegfried Idyll,” “Overtures,“ Vernon Handley, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Durkin Hayes DHM008 (or Tring Digital TRP008)

SYMPHONIES

Beethoven, Symphonies nos. 4, 8, Otmar Suitner, Berlin Staatskapelle Orchestra. Denon 198C37-7254

Beethoven, Symphony no. 9, Otmar Suitner, Staatskapelle Berlin. Denon 198C37-7256

Brahms, Symphony no. 1, Jascha Horenstein, London Symphony Orchestra. Reissued on Chesky CD19

Brahms, Symphony no. 4, Fritz Reiner, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Reissued on Chesky CD6

Bruckner, Symphony no. 4, Tintner, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Naxos 8.55412869

Bruckner, Symphony no. 7, Tintner, RSNO, Naxos 8.554269

Dvorak, Symphony no. 9, “New World,” plus Wagner, Siegfried Idyll, Flying Dutchman Overture, Jascha Horenstein, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Reissued on Chesky CD31

Haydn, Symphonies 23, 24, and 61, Nicholas Ward, Northern Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.550723

Haydn, Symphonies 77,78, and 79, Nicholas Ward, Northern Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.553363

Haydn, Symphonies 96, 102, Adam Fischer, Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra. Nimbus 5135

Mahler, Symphony no. 4, Lorin Maazel, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. CBS WDMK-44908

Toshiro Mayuzumi, Nirvana Symphony, Hiroyuki Iwaki, Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra; plus Buddhist Chant of the Yakushiji Temple, Nara. Denon CO 78839

Mozart, Symphonies nos. 35, 41, Haydn Symphony no. 104,. Josef Krips and René Leibowitz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Reissued on Chesky CD16

Mozart, Symphonies nos. 39, 41, Colin Davis, Staatskapelle Dresden. Philips 410 046-2

Mozart, Symphonies nos. 31, 40 and 34, 41, Christopher Hogwood, The Academy of Ancient Music. L’Oiseau-Lyre 410 197-2 and 411 658-2

Schubert, Symphony no. 8, “Unfinished,” and Mendelssohn, Symphony no. 4, “Italian,” Giuseppe Sinopoli, Philharmonia Orchestra. DG 410 862-2

Sibelius, Symphonies 4, 5, Lorin Maazel, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Sony SK 46499

Vaughan Williams, Symphonies nos. 7 (Sinfonia antartica) and 8, Kees Bakels, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Naxos 8.550737

PIANO

Beethoven, The Five Piano Concertos, Rudolf Serkin, piano, Seiji Ozawa, Boston Symphony Orchestra. Telarc CD-80061-5

Brahms, Piano Concerto no. 2, Gina Bachauer, piano, Antal Dorati, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Reissued on Chesky CD36

Chopin, 4 Ballades and 4 Scherzi, Earl Wild, piano. Chesky CD44

Liszt, Années de Pèlerinage, 3 volumes, Jeno Jando, piano. Naxos 8.550548, 8.550549, 8.550550 Box set is 8.503004
VOCAL

Berlioz, Requiem, Robert Shaw, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Telarc CD-80109-2

Brahms, Ein deutsches Requiem (A German Requiem), Robert Shaw, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Telarc CD-80092

Handel, Messiah, Robert Shaw, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Telarc CD80093-2

“En la fête de Noël. - O Holy Night,” Martin Dagenais, La petite bande de Montréal. Naxos 8.554435

“The Mystery of Christmas,” Noel Edison, The Elora Festival Singers. Naxos 8.554179

“Let the Organs Thunder,” music for chorus, brass and two organs, William Ferris, William Ferris Chorale (Chicago). WFC 588289

“The World of Wagner,” Georg Solti, various soloists, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. London 440 069-2

Renée Fleming, soprano, The Beautiful Voice, Jeffrey Tate, English Chamber Orchestra. London 289 458 858-2

CHAMBER MUSIC AND INSTRUMENTAL

Brahms, Serenade no. 1, and Wagner, Siegfried Idyll, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields’ Chamber Ensemble. Philips 426 298-2

Dvorak, Quartets nos. 10, 14, Opus. 51 and 105, Vlach Quartet of Prague. Naxos 8.553374

Laura Jeppesen, “Music for Viola da Gamba,” (Le Sieur de Machy, Schaffrath, Abel, Mozart). Titanic Ti-183

Jean-Jacques Kantorow, violin, Romantic Violin Miniature, Michi Inoue, New Japan Philharmonic. Denon DC-8077

Schubert, Piano Quintet in A, “The Trout,” Ingrid Haebler, piano, Jacques Cazauran, double-bass, Grumiaux Trio. Philips 422 838-2

The Wallace Collection brass ensemble, “Gabrieli & St. Mark’s,” John Wallace, trumpet, Simon Wright, conductor. Nimbus 5236

ORGAN

J. S. Bach, Passacaglia in C Major, Toccata in F, Fantasia and Fugue in * Minor, Michael Murray, the Great Organ in Methuen Hall. Telarc CD-80049

“The World of the Organ,” Simon Preston, organ. London 430 091-2

WORLD MUSIC

Rag Jhinjhoti, Rag Pilu. Imrat Khan, sitar; Vajahat Khan, sarod; Shafaatullah Khan, tabla. Nimbus 5195

Rag Shankara, Rag Mala in Jogia, Ram Narayan, sarangi, Anindo Chatterjee, tabla. Nimbus 5245

Rag Bhimpalasi, Hariprasad Chaurasia, flute, Fazal Quereshi, tabla. Nimbus 5298

M

mwheelerk

Junior Audioholic
At First

At first I would probably put on both Jeff Beck "Blow By Blow" and Miles Davis "in A Quiet Way" Both have "exaggerated" multichannel sound but given the nature of the music it works for me. For more subtle surround performance and absolute musical clarity and dynamics I would choose either Eleanor McEvoy disc "Yola" or "Early Hours". Then I would select a Bob Dylan and Rolling Stones to demonstrate just how much improvement SACD has to offer even to very old recordings.

M

mwheelerk

Junior Audioholic
Wow! Pull out the hide-a-bed!

Pat D said:
So many people aren't into seriously listening to music and they are often here for some other purpose, like chatting or eating. As well, most people aren't very much into classical music. There really isn't much opportunity to show off the system, per se. So ordinarily, we just put some background music we think they might like or that fits the mood.

For those who do want to hear a demonstration, we put on something we think they would like, such as Diana Krall, Angele Arsenault, Roger Whittaker, or guitar music ( a sneaky way to get them to listen to classical!).

For seriously showing off the system, well, here's an old list of good recordings:

ANCIENT MUSIC

”The Dante Troubadours,” Martin Best Mediaeval Ensemble. Nimbus 5002

“Songs of Chivalry,” Martin Best Mediaeval Ensemble. Nimbus 5006

“Chominciamento di gioia” (dance music from the time of Boccacio’s Decamerone),. Naxos 8.553131

Praetorius, Dances from the Terpsichore, Westra nos Pijpare. Naxos 8.553865

“:On the Way to Bethlehem” (music of the medieval pilgrim), Ensemble Oni Wytars, Ensemble Unicorn. Naxos 8.553132

ORCHESTRAL

Arnold Bax, Tone Poems (November Woods, The Happy Forest, The Garden of Fand, and Summer Music), Bryden Thomson, Ulster Orchestra. Chandos CHAN 8307

Debussy, “La Mer,” “Le Martyre de saint Sébastien,” “Prélude de l’après-midi d’un faune,” Dutoit, Montreal Symphony Orchestra, London 430 240-2

Feeney, “Dracula,” John Pryce-Jones, Northern Ballet Theatre Orchestra. Naxos 8.553964

Ferde Grofé, “Grand Canyon Suite;” George Gershwin, arr. Bennett, “Porgy and Bess, A Symphonic Picture,” Antal Dorati, Detroit Symphony Orchestra. London 410 110-2

Holst, “The Planets,” Dutoit, Montreal Symphony Orchestra, London 417 553-2 (also on Penguin Classics, Decca 460 606-2)

Ippolitov-Ivanov, “Caucasian Sketches,“ Christopher Lyndon Gee, Sydney Symphony Orchestra. Marco Polo 8.220369

Toshiro Mayuzumi, “Samsara” (tone poem), Baccanales, Phonologie Symphonique, Yoshikazu Fukumura, Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra. Marco Polo 8.220297 Many people may not like this music, which is often percussive and rather clangy.

Mozart, Overtures and “Eine Kleine Nachtmusik,” Bruno Weil, Tafelmusik. Vivarte SK 46695

Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition, Lorin Maazel, Cleveland Orchestra. Telarc CD-80042

Prokofiev, Alexander Nevsky cantata, Lt. Kijé, Charles Dutoit, Choeur et Orchestre symphonique de Montréal. London 430 506-2

Prokofiev, Scenes from the “Romeo and Juliet” ballet, plus Ravel, “Boléro,” etc., Jan Pascal Tortelier, London Symphony Orchestra. Castle CIDC 1001

Respighi, “Pines of Rome,” “Fountains of Rome,” “Feste Romane,” Dutoit, Montreal Symphony Orchestra, London 410 145-2 (also Decca 430 729-2).

Rossini, Overtures, Roger Norrington, London Classical Players. EMI CDC 554091

Smetana, “Ma Vlast“ (“My Homeland“), Antoni Wit, Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra. Naxos 8.550931

Stravinsky, Firebird Suite plus Borodin Music from Prince Igor, Shaw, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, Telarc CD-80039

Deems Taylor, “Through the Looking Glass,” plus Charles Griffes, various orchestral works, Gerard Schwarz, Seattle Symphony Orchestra. Delos DE 3099

Wagner, “The Ride of the Valkyries,” “Siegfried Idyll,” “Overtures,“ Vernon Handley, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Durkin Hayes DHM008 (or Tring Digital TRP008)

SYMPHONIES

Beethoven, Symphonies nos. 4, 8, Otmar Suitner, Berlin Staatskapelle Orchestra. Denon 198C37-7254

Beethoven, Symphony no. 9, Otmar Suitner, Staatskapelle Berlin. Denon 198C37-7256

Brahms, Symphony no. 1, Jascha Horenstein, London Symphony Orchestra. Reissued on Chesky CD19

Brahms, Symphony no. 4, Fritz Reiner, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Reissued on Chesky CD6

Bruckner, Symphony no. 4, Tintner, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Naxos 8.55412869

Bruckner, Symphony no. 7, Tintner, RSNO, Naxos 8.554269

Dvorak, Symphony no. 9, “New World,” plus Wagner, Siegfried Idyll, Flying Dutchman Overture, Jascha Horenstein, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Reissued on Chesky CD31

Haydn, Symphonies 23, 24, and 61, Nicholas Ward, Northern Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.550723

Haydn, Symphonies 77,78, and 79, Nicholas Ward, Northern Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.553363

Haydn, Symphonies 96, 102, Adam Fischer, Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra. Nimbus 5135

Mahler, Symphony no. 4, Lorin Maazel, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. CBS WDMK-44908

Toshiro Mayuzumi, Nirvana Symphony, Hiroyuki Iwaki, Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra; plus Buddhist Chant of the Yakushiji Temple, Nara. Denon CO 78839

Mozart, Symphonies nos. 35, 41, Haydn Symphony no. 104,. Josef Krips and René Leibowitz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Reissued on Chesky CD16

Mozart, Symphonies nos. 39, 41, Colin Davis, Staatskapelle Dresden. Philips 410 046-2

Mozart, Symphonies nos. 31, 40 and 34, 41, Christopher Hogwood, The Academy of Ancient Music. L’Oiseau-Lyre 410 197-2 and 411 658-2

Schubert, Symphony no. 8, “Unfinished,” and Mendelssohn, Symphony no. 4, “Italian,” Giuseppe Sinopoli, Philharmonia Orchestra. DG 410 862-2

Sibelius, Symphonies 4, 5, Lorin Maazel, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Sony SK 46499

Vaughan Williams, Symphonies nos. 7 (Sinfonia antartica) and 8, Kees Bakels, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Naxos 8.550737

PIANO

Beethoven, The Five Piano Concertos, Rudolf Serkin, piano, Seiji Ozawa, Boston Symphony Orchestra. Telarc CD-80061-5

Brahms, Piano Concerto no. 2, Gina Bachauer, piano, Antal Dorati, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Reissued on Chesky CD36

Chopin, 4 Ballades and 4 Scherzi, Earl Wild, piano. Chesky CD44

Liszt, Années de Pèlerinage, 3 volumes, Jeno Jando, piano. Naxos 8.550548, 8.550549, 8.550550 Box set is 8.503004
VOCAL

Berlioz, Requiem, Robert Shaw, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Telarc CD-80109-2

Brahms, Ein deutsches Requiem (A German Requiem), Robert Shaw, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Telarc CD-80092

Handel, Messiah, Robert Shaw, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Telarc CD80093-2

“En la fête de Noël. - O Holy Night,” Martin Dagenais, La petite bande de Montréal. Naxos 8.554435

“The Mystery of Christmas,” Noel Edison, The Elora Festival Singers. Naxos 8.554179

“Let the Organs Thunder,” music for chorus, brass and two organs, William Ferris, William Ferris Chorale (Chicago). WFC 588289

“The World of Wagner,” Georg Solti, various soloists, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. London 440 069-2

Renée Fleming, soprano, The Beautiful Voice, Jeffrey Tate, English Chamber Orchestra. London 289 458 858-2

CHAMBER MUSIC AND INSTRUMENTAL

Brahms, Serenade no. 1, and Wagner, Siegfried Idyll, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields’ Chamber Ensemble. Philips 426 298-2

Dvorak, Quartets nos. 10, 14, Opus. 51 and 105, Vlach Quartet of Prague. Naxos 8.553374

Laura Jeppesen, “Music for Viola da Gamba,” (Le Sieur de Machy, Schaffrath, Abel, Mozart). Titanic Ti-183

Jean-Jacques Kantorow, violin, Romantic Violin Miniature, Michi Inoue, New Japan Philharmonic. Denon DC-8077

Schubert, Piano Quintet in A, “The Trout,” Ingrid Haebler, piano, Jacques Cazauran, double-bass, Grumiaux Trio. Philips 422 838-2

The Wallace Collection brass ensemble, “Gabrieli & St. Mark’s,” John Wallace, trumpet, Simon Wright, conductor. Nimbus 5236

ORGAN

J. S. Bach, Passacaglia in C Major, Toccata in F, Fantasia and Fugue in * Minor, Michael Murray, the Great Organ in Methuen Hall. Telarc CD-80049

“The World of the Organ,” Simon Preston, organ. London 430 091-2

WORLD MUSIC

Rag Jhinjhoti, Rag Pilu. Imrat Khan, sitar; Vajahat Khan, sarod; Shafaatullah Khan, tabla. Nimbus 5195

Rag Shankara, Rag Mala in Jogia, Ram Narayan, sarangi, Anindo Chatterjee, tabla. Nimbus 5245

Rag Bhimpalasi, Hariprasad Chaurasia, flute, Fazal Quereshi, tabla. Nimbus 5298
Just how long will your guest be staying to hear this demonstration or is that an indoctrination? :rolleyes:

U

Unregistered

<font color='#000000'>My favorites are anything I have on Mapleshade/Wildchild, especially A La Carte Brass and Percussion. They are redbook CD but are superbly recorded. The sound far better than any SACD I have including many of those mentioned here. Maybe my SACD setup needs more optimizing as I've only had it a month, but most of the SACD stuff is old source material. &nbsp;I also would use Blue Man Group Audio (DVD-A) to show off bass and 5 channel mix</font>
The Mapleshade stuff is "scary" good. Chesky Records releases are like that as well.

-T

D

dmack

Audiophyte
Eagles "hell Freezes Over" Dts Dvd
The Only Production That Leaves Me In Awe Everytime I Watch And Here It.
Any Sacd, Dvd-a,dd Cds And Or Dvds I Have Had A Chance To Listen To Pale In Comparison. The Only One My Freinds Rush Out And Buy After Experiencing It.
Imho

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Norah Jones SACD Refund

I noticed a few complaints on this thread about the Norah Jones SACD. You guys need to check out this months (or last months I'm not sure) issue of Stereophile. One of the reviewers was extremely disappointed with the SACD mix...so much so that he investigated the process by which the formats were tranferred and discovered that something was done in error and as much was eventually admitted by the record company. The article implies that it was done intentionally as a cost cutting measure.

I won't bore you with the technical mumbo jumbo but the punchline was that the SACD was remixed and reissued and they are offering an exchange for anyone who has the incorrectly mixed version of the SACD.

The article goes into full detail about the sonic shortcomings and why they exist as well as how to tell if you have a tainted disk.

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
Norah Jones SACD replacement

20to20K,

Can you provide any more information about the exchange? I too purchased the Norah Jones CD (More for my wife and daughters) and was sorely disappointed with the disk. No real problems that I can hear, but also, no obvious signs that it's a SACD or has a real surround mix.

I'd like to learn more about this potential exchange, and if I am able to participate.

Pat

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Stereophile article - Norah Jones

Pat,

check out this link:

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalsourcereviews/1104fifth/index.html

The article I mentioned is now online so you can read the entire thing for yourself. I gave it another read and it appears that I was incorrect about the refund. The refund was merely the writers suggestion to Blue Note to right this supposed wrong.

On another note...I've recently purchased the newer 5 channel, hybrid SACD of "Come Away with Me" and it sounds much better than the original. I have not heard the 2 channel SACD version that you have and the John Marks
(from Stereophile) is complaining about, but I can certainly recommend this multichannel hybrid version.

To add to the rest of the thread I also enjoy demo-ing Grover Washington's
DVD-A of Winelight and the Synchronicity 2-channel SACD. I agree with a previous poster who wasn't blown away by the Donald Fagen Nightfly DVD-A.
I was expecting that to sound awesome and I thought it was just so-so. Plus
two of the songs had alternative takes (Green Flower Street and Ruby Baby)
that I thought were inferior to the original release. My opinion of course!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis