Dell Latitude E6500 review... 1st impressions

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I have had a small amount of time with this machine, Dell latitude E6500 2.4ghz Dual Core, 160GB Hard Drive, 7200RPM Free Fall, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M DDR3 ram - I have 2gb ram, and will order another 2gb chip tomorrow, but so far I am thoroughly impressed I ordered a 2.26, but it seems that I got a 2.4 instead... I don't think I'll be calling in a complaint..

Extremely well built solid construction, keyboard is amazing, the best I have ever used on a laptop (some people say it has flex but I haven't noticed any), feedback is absolutely perfect, with a very soft noiseless click to report a keystroke. I have never been able to type this fast... Impressive... Back lit keyboard - sexy, secure fingerprint access works perfect, 1 swipe read every time I use it... far less screen flex then I have had on any other laptop I have used. Speakers are something to be desired, but I don't listen to music with them, I have 40K in home theater gear, so nothing lost to me..

Hinges on screen are completely solid, not worn in enough yet, takes 2 hands to open it, but I'm sure that will smooth out over time. LED screen is very impressive, resolution 1440x900 is really crisp and clear... colors are brilliant. I haven't run any tests, but 2.4 dual core is plenty fast... I'll know better when I try to extract something... Haven't done that for a long time.. Back of screen is brushed black aluminum, from what I understand, they are coming out with a Blue, which I saw online and it looks beautiful, I preferred that look, but the Black is flawless.... Its really a sleek looking laptop. First time I have used Vista, running 64 bit and so far I have 0 issues with it. Works as fast as my XP if not faster, only running 2gb ram but have 2 more on order.

Gripes, the transition from wrist rest to front of computer could be more tapered or smoother like the HP's, can be a bit rough, but certainly not a deal breaker. The mouse pad is a touch small, I am used to a larger one, but I'll get used to it, also I need to get used to the control of it, somewhat touchy, I find I'm highlighting stuff all the time, but again I'm sure that is something that I just have to get used to. I am happy there is no gloss anywhere on the computer, minimizes fingerprints..

I am just about running out of battery, and I have at least 5 hours on it so I better wrap this up pretty quick.... The Processor is very fast for me... I haven't had this much power in my house for a while, for a laptop to me its impressive... 35 sec to extract CD1 of a 2 disc movie, not sure if thats good or bad... I ordered it with a 8x dvd-rw, (PLDS-DVD DU-8A2S) but I haven't burned anything yet...

Well I guess thats pretty much it... If anyone has any questions or ideas they would like addressed I'd be more then happy to answer them...

Hope this helps for those interested...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks, im considering a dell laptop within the next month in the 800 bucks and below range.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
I have had Dell laptops for a long while and only had one problem, a failed DVD drive, and that was replaced in an instant, only positive experiences with Dell and their support when I needed (once)

Running Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop and Windows Server 2003 r2 in dual boot on a Latitude D810, works very fine.

-Harald :)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
This machine is really awesome.... I am totally thrilled with it so far... tons of cool stuff about it that works great, like I think number 1 is the finger print reader...

My son is such a hacker and has always broken into my computers no matter what, backdoors and all that stuff... I have to give him credit as well as myself for putting up road blocks for him to overcome...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis