Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
I made my very first post in "The Audio Circles" slamming some guy about cable burn-in. And it was deleted. awwww-right. 1 post, 1 deleted post. I'm so happy I'll smear my ears with jam and tie myself to an ant hill.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
Congratulations!, but i don't understand why these people delete posts if you're telling the truth. Is this because the site is sponsored by snake-oil manufacturers?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Welcome to the club.

Posting on some forums is like training cats. If you've ever trained cats, the first thing you learn is that if you tell them to do what they are going to do anyway, you come out a winner.

If you ask me, you're in pretty good company. :D

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I didn't log on today til pretty late, and I missed the whole blow up. I can tell you flat out that unlike AH, AC isn't sponsored by anybody. We take no ads and have no banners or pop ups. Once a year (or as needed) we "pass the hat" to help JohnR (the site 'owner') pay for servers & bandwidth. No one makes any money or has any agenda. All of us Facilitators & Admin there do it just for fun. For the record, I'm a Mod with Admin powers at Audiocircle.

Audiocircle is accessible to the public, but really it was a "lifeboat" created to preserve our community from Harmonic Discord- that site still exists, but basically never gets maintained at all. Dan & Discord pretty much abandoned it. So AC is our private little hangout, and we don't really care if it "grows" or not- we don't chase people away, but we aren't recruiting, either. It's almost an online family, albeit a sometimes dysfunctional one.

The mood and tone over there is very different than here. I'm one of the few relatively objectivist guys over there, and the vast majority of them are believers in things like tweaks & cables. Generally any opinion is welcomed so long as it's presented respectfully. But it's not a site of engineers, and most guys there take it as an artical of faith that cables, amps, stands, gear racks, etc etc all have a unique sound. That's just the culture of the site. It's not necessary to agree to post there; there are a few members (including Moderators) very vocal in their disagreement. We just try to keep it civil.

I really doubt guys like Mtrycrafts & WmAX would find AC to their liking (although they're certainly welcome if they like). DBT is not scorned by any means, but it's not held up as the ultimate answer like it usually is here. Again, I'm in the minority, being pretty much in the objectivist camp, but normally there's very little conflict. That said, most guys there do believe in a lot of things that are considered here to be snake oil.

As for the moderation policy at AC: Aside from posts on politics & religion, it's almost unheard of for us to delete a post or ban a member, and we're normally pretty hands-off. Marbles (the Mod/Admin who deleted the post) has some history with Dan and you sort of got in the middle of it. You rubbed him the wrong way in great part by making your very first post a negative one; that's not the way to endear yourself to a close knit group. By your own words, your first post was "slamming some guy." What would you think if a brand new member here used his first post to slam someone? I happen to know you a little, Mudcat, or at least as much as you can on a forum. But since Marbles doesn't, I can definately see how your comment was taken as trolling.

I like both sites a lot, and each has a core of guys that's kind of like a family. But I'll admit AC is more fun to me, in great part because (lately) every discussion at AH seems to erupt into full fledge flame wars. Every thread seems to draw a line in the sand and dare people to cross it.

I'm sorry you had problems over there. Feel free to contact me if you if you want to.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
If I recall, The first words off my keyboard in that particular post were something to the effect:

"You stupid F*&%#*$ moron, you actually believe in that F*&$)%
B^!!$#!++. "

I think that is why it was deleted. Even though I felt I was telling the truth.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

By the time I got there, all the stuff was deleted: I only saw some quotes. Yeah, if that's what you said, I'm not surprised! You've gotta establish yourself on a forum for awhile before you start in with those types of comments.
;)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

To clarify a bit further: I checked, Mudcat, and the post wasn't deleted at all, but moved to Fight Club. Our general policy there is to move offending posts instead of delete them. Fight Club is one area where you can say almost anything.

Also, I was in err about Marbles having previous run ins with Dan Banquer. I guess it was just a spontaneous thing. I get a kick out of Dan's posts, and it's not the message that got him in trouble but the way he said it.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Where is the fight club? I hope it is not anywhere near the site you posted in this thread over at AC :eek:

Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:42 am The Most Horrifying Forum in the World!

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
Deleting Posts

Rob & Mudcat:
I've been thrown out of better places. In any case I thought a "lab" forum was for the discussion of technical issues not pyscology. Apparently some of those folks can't distinguish between the two. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that no one has bothered to respond to my new post "The Importance of Wire" Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
d.b.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Mudcat, it's towards the bottom of the page. Yeah, I'd avoid "The Most Horrifying Forum in the World!" :eek:

I don't know what the deal is, Dan. Many of the guys over there probably do believe in some things that would be labelled snake oil here (with NathanM being a notable & hilarious exception). I'm kinda agnostic about a lot of that stuff, with objectivist leanings. I agree that often people don't realize how much of the stuff they think they hear is all in their heads. Mostly, I think you can say almost anything you want there if you say it politely.

Speaking only for myself, and not as a Mod at AC, I didn't see the need to make the Lab a "DBT Free Zone"- we've never once had a problem in that regard, so I thought the prohibition was premature. However, we have a policy there that each Circle is pretty much the "property" of the Facilitator, and he or she can set any rules they see fit. While I sometimes take issue with an individual decision, the system works well for us. There are plenty of circles there where you can still get a pretty good arguement going! :D

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Some of my posts have ended up in the Fight club. It's quite fun there actually. But you have to log in, click on the "other circles" option, then will you see the Fight club. You can pretty much say anthing you want in there. :D

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

There are some rules even in Fight Club. But you can certainly blow off some steam there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis