Dehudifier/refrigerator, etc stopped working? Look for recalls!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I had a Danby dehumidifier that stopped working awhile back, so I replaced it. Not long after, I killed my knee, so I really didn't feel like carrying it up from the basement and being small, it didn't take up much room. I had noticed that the one I bought to replace it isn't working particularly well, so I plugged in the old one, thinking that I replaced it because it was too small, but all I got was a droning sound (could be dust on the fan) and very little water in the container. I saw a phone number on the back, so I called and found out that a lot of dehumidifiers have been recalled, from several brands. The manufacturer (Midea) is handling the recalls by issuing a refund. It's not a full refund, but it's better than nothing. They need a photo of the label with the model and serial number, as well as one with the user's name & date, showing that the power cord has been cut about 2" from the strain relief. These can be attached to the refund claim at:

www.recallrtr/dehumidifier.com

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just in case your appliance isn't recalled, and its repair cost is too high, getting a replacement one, I recommend watching this short video:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I had a Danby dehumidifier that stopped working awhile back, so I replaced it. Not long after, I killed my knee, so I really didn't feel like carrying it up from the basement and being small, it didn't take up much room. I had noticed that the one I bought to replace it isn't working particularly well, so I plugged in the old one, thinking that I replaced it because it was too small, but all I got was a droning sound (could be dust on the fan) and very little water in the container. I saw a phone number on the back, so I called and found out that a lot of dehumidifiers have been recalled, from several brands. The manufacturer (Midea) is handling the recalls by issuing a refund. It's not a full refund, but it's better than nothing. They need a photo of the label with the model and serial number, as well as one with the user's name & date, showing that the power cord has been cut about 2" from the strain relief. These can be attached to the refund claim at:

www.recallrtr/dehumidifier.com
Chinese manufacture again I bet. If you want a good dehumidifier, Aprilaire is the go to manufacturer. For best results make sure it is central, and hooked into your HVAC. This saves AC cost and takes a load off the AC, as it does not have to provide the latent heat for the condensation of the water. With humidity levels rising this is now something pretty much every home needs.

highfigh

highfigh

Chinese manufacture again I bet. If you want a good dehumidifier, Aprilaire is the go to manufacturer. For best results make sure it is central, and hooked into your HVAC. This saves AC cost and takes a load off the AC, as it does not have to provide the latent heat for the condensation of the water. With humidity levels rising this is now something pretty much every home needs.
Yup- cheap Chinese crap, but at least they're being held accountable for the problems which were fires.

highfigh

highfigh

Just in case your appliance isn't recalled, and its repair cost is too high, getting a replacement one, I recommend watching this short video:
My fridge stopped working- it would click, hum and shut off. It wasn't particularly old and I have a smaller one, so I emptied it and let it sit- paying someone to tell me that it was 'uneconomical to repair' or would cost $500 would just piss me off, so I looked on YouTube for videos to show how to troubleshoot it. They showed the part that was needed, but not how to determine its need, so I didn't buy the part because it could have been a waste of money. One day, I found a video that DID show how to check the compressor and within 1-1/2 hours, it was working again. I think the part was $56 and round trip, it took less than an hour to buy it.removing the old one, testing and replacing the part took fifteen minutes.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yup- cheap Chinese crap, but at least they're being held accountable for the problems which were fires.
I say they would do us all a favor if they didn't bother to get out of bed!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

My fridge stopped working- it would click, hum and shut off. It wasn't particularly old and I have a smaller one, so I emptied it and let it sit- paying someone to tell me that it was 'uneconomical to repair' or would cost $500 would just piss me off, so I looked on YouTube for videos to show how to troubleshoot it. They showed the part that was needed, but not how to determine its need, so I didn't buy the part because it could have been a waste of money. One day, I found a video that DID show how to check the compressor and within 1-1/2 hours, it was working again. I think the part was $56 and round trip, it took less than an hour to buy it.removing the old one, testing and replacing the part took fifteen minutes.
What was the part that needed replacement?

highfigh

highfigh

What was the part that needed replacement?
The manufacturers call it a 'starting device'. What a load of BS- it's a capacitor and relay mounted on a plastic block with a receptacle for the plug from a harness. They must think it's an intimidating name and people will see it, think "I"m not touchin' than danged ol' startin' device! Might get some kind o' disease!".

The compressor motor has three terminals-two high and one low. The lower one is common and the test involves measuring the resistance between it & each of the other two, then measuring between the two upper pins. resistance between the two upper pins should be the same as adding the resistance between the common and each of the others. Oooh! So technical!

BTW- refrigerators have a plastic pouch near the drip pan with a schematic.

Thanks, YouTube!

Don't worry about the price of this one- I have seen them as low as $23.

highfigh

highfigh

I say they would do us all a favor if they didn't bother to get out of bed!
This is what happens when a country like China is granted 'Most Favored Trading Partner'.

Thanks, Congress & Bill Clinton for signing that bill- you did all of us a huge favor.......

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis