Definitive technology Tower and satellite speaker settings

J

Jay castle

Audiophyte
Hello i am new to the site. I have definitive technology BP-8020ST towers for fronts, ProCinema600 center/surrounds and no sub. I am using a pioneer elite VSX-30 receiver.

I need help in setting up the crossover as my receiver only allows me to set crossover for whole system and not individual speakers.

Also I need help with the LFE setting. I’m not running a subwoofer and don’t know if setting should just be set to off. I currently have the crossover at 150Hz and the LFE AT -25db.

system sounds great just want to make sure I have correct settings for best sound performance thanks.

VoidX

VoidX

Audioholic Intern
If you don't have a subwoofer, just find the lowest frequency your speakers are able to output (a simple mobile app like DecibelX will do), and set the crossover frequency there. Turn on LFE, even if you don't have a subwoofer, otherwise it might not remove the frequencies that your system can't output anyway, which just takes away amplifier power.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello i am new to the site. I have definitive technology BP-8020ST towers for fronts, ProCinema600 center/surrounds and no sub. I am using a pioneer elite VSX-30 receiver.

I need help in setting up the crossover as my receiver only allows me to set crossover for whole system and not individual speakers.

Also I need help with the LFE setting. I’m not running a subwoofer and don’t know if setting should just be set to off. I currently have the crossover at 150Hz and the LFE AT -25db.

system sounds great just want to make sure I have correct settings for best sound performance thanks.
You could use the LFE inputs on your speakers and use their powered woofers as "subs". Then you could set a universal crossover of maybe 80hz to start then experiment, altho it seems they are suggesting not to use the auto setup function but to do it by ear or perhaps with an spl meter. In what unit/setting do you have the LFE set to -25? Same for the "crossover"....that the avr or is that the sub's low pass filter?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I would use an rca to LFE input on the speakers and set AVR to yes for subwoofer. Experiment with XO between 60 and 120hz and see what you like.
I would also use a subwoofer.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Hi Jay, I’ve owned the 8020’s, I would run an RCA to each LFE input on the towers using a Y splitter from your Pioneer (if it doesn’t have an internal one already), set sub to YES and all speakers to SMALL and start at an 80hz-100hz crossover. Honestly the 600’s aren’t doing a whole lot in the 80hz region and while the small 8” driver in the 8020’s isn’t going to be an output subsonic monster it’s going to be exponentially more capable of 100hz and lower than the little 3.5” BDSS drivers in the 600’s. When I ran them I had a similar system only with 4 SuperCube II’s and ran a 120hz crossover for all 3 bed layer 600’s and 4 height layer 600’s. This is specific to the acoustical properties and speaker layout of my specific room but it’s a good starting point as others have pointed out

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis