Definitive Technology Surround Sound- Mythos Gem or Pro Monitor 800?

N

NDyse10

Junior Audioholic
I'm currently trying to decide what surround sound speakers I should go with to add to my 3.1 system.

My system is:

Marantz SR5005
Definitive Technology Mythos STS
Mythos Seven Center
SVS PB12-NSD Sub

I am trying to decide between the Mythos Gem speakers or the Promonitor 800 speakers. My main question is if the Mythos Gem pair will be a big upgrade over the Promonitor 800s being that they are only being used as rear surrounds or can I save myself roughly $200 and go with the Promonitor 800s. What will the major differences between the two be?

Thanks

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
ND,
If you are interested in multi-channel audio (i.e. SACD) then the Mythos are definitely worth an extra $200.
If only for HT surround duty, then your decision may be influenced more by ease of mounting and visual aesthetics; because the Mythos better audio capability will not be exercised a whole lot.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You will likely be able to get more spl output on the Gems. They will also likely dig a little deeper, but that isn't really a concern on surrounds.

How large is your room?

If it is on the small to medium end, then the Promonitor will likely suffice.

If it's on the medium to large end, then I would consider the Gems.

If you could find a dealer that will let you take home both and return 1, then you could see for yourself.

Eagle has a good point too!

B

broomet

Audiophyte
I'm currently trying to decide what surround sound speakers I should go with to add to my 3.1 system.

My system is:

Marantz SR5005
Definitive Technology Mythos STS
Mythos Seven Center
SVS PB12-NSD Sub

I am trying to decide between the Mythos Gem speakers or the Promonitor 800 speakers. My main question is if the Mythos Gem pair will be a big upgrade over the Promonitor 800s being that they are only being used as rear surrounds or can I save myself roughly $200 and go with the Promonitor 800s. What will the major differences between the two be?

Thanks
Hi NDyse10 - sorry to resurrect an old thread here but I just found your post since I am in the almost identical spot you were a couple years ago. Which way did you go on this, Gems or the ProMonitors? Was it a good choice? Thanks much!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis