Definitive technology supercube reference VS?

B

biturboi6

Audiophyte
I've been offered a good deal on a Definitive Technology Supercube Reference. It will cost me slightly less than a PB12-plus with shipping.

Retail price wise, the Reference goes up against some heavy hitters. PB-13 Ultra seems like the no brainer in its price range. However, I am not paying 13 Ultra prices.

Basically, my question is, what does the Reference compete against PERFORMANCE wise?

I feel like this sub would bridge the gap performance wise, between the 12-plus and the 13-ultra. Is this accurate? Am I underrating this sub? Is it actually on par with a 13-ultra.

I know you guys will be able to help me :)

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I think the Epik Empire would be in that playing field.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
A Definitive Technology Trinity would be on par with an Ultra.
Am I underrating this sub? Is it actually on par with a 13-ultra.

S

smihalik

Audioholic
I've been offered a good deal on a Definitive Technology Supercube Reference. It will cost me slightly less than a PB12-plus with shipping.

Retail price wise, the Reference goes up against some heavy hitters. PB-13 Ultra seems like the no brainer in its price range. However, I am not paying 13 Ultra prices.

Basically, my question is, what does the Reference compete against PERFORMANCE wise?

I feel like this sub would bridge the gap performance wise, between the 12-plus and the 13-ultra. Is this accurate? Am I underrating this sub? Is it actually on par with a 13-ultra.

I was about to post more or less the same question! Being in Canada our options are rather limited. You could also check out Funkywaves.com

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Save your money...get an Ultra...be done with it...:D
I was about to post more or less the same question! Being in Canada our options are rather limited. You could also check out Funkywaves.com

S

smihalik

Audioholic
Save your money...get an Ultra...be done with it...:D
So tempted. An ultra is $2200 shipped in Canada though. Out of my budget right now :(

I have an offer on a Supercube Reference as well. $1450 shipped. I'm thinking Biturboi6 has been talking to the same person.

It's a tempting offer. It will cost me about $100 less than a pb-12plus.

Will it outperform a 12 plus though?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Why ship it to Canada when you can just pick it up there?
So tempted. An ultra is $2200 shipped in Canada though. Out of my budget right now :(

I have an offer on a Supercube Reference as well. $1450 shipped. I'm thinking Biturboi6 has been talking to the same person.

S

smihalik

Audioholic
Does anybody know if the 1800W amp on this thing is RMS? If it is, that's awesome. If not it's a meaningless number.

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic

Oh yeah it will! How about $1420.00 shipped???:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does anybody know if the 1800W amp on this thing is RMS? If it is, that's awesome. If not it's a meaningless number.
Here is the answer from DefTech:

The amplifier ratings on our SuperCube subwoofers are "dynamic or peak" output ratings, however, their RMS ratings are pretty close.

For example, the SuperCube Reference subwoofer has a dynamic output of 1800 watts and an RMS output of 1500 watts.

Thanks,
Chet Pelkowski
Definitive Technology

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Here is the answer from DefTech:

The amplifier ratings on our SuperCube subwoofers are "dynamic or peak" output ratings, however, their RMS ratings are pretty close.

For example, the SuperCube Reference subwoofer has a dynamic output of 1800 watts and an RMS output of 1500 watts.

Thanks,
Chet Pelkowski
Definitive Technology

I find that very hard to believe.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I find that very hard to believe.
I recall Gene saying something about the ICE-power amps not being able to get above 50 watts of continous power, but have plenty of headroom - like 4dB or something. I'm wondering if ALL digital amps are like this?

Maybe their definition of "RMS" is different for the digital subwoofer amps.:D

M

mannoiaj

Junior Audioholic
1500 watts RMS seems crazy for a single sub. Not sure why they wouldn't have picked out a less sensitive driver if that much power is actually needed. Perhaps its a strong selling point that it has alot of power?..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis