Definitive Technology Super Cube II not firing

W

wstandis

Audioholic Intern
I have had this cube for a while but over the past three years not really used it as i had a newborn in the house. Now that my daughter is a little older and i am starting to take advantage of my system. which consist of A yamaha rxv-2500 receiver definitive technology BP 8's and a new clr 2500 center and bpx surrounds.

I am using the pre out RCA out on the yamaha to the LFE in on the sub. I set the crossover output on the amp at 80 i set the bass output to swfr only and nothing hapens.

When I use YPAO (the self setup with yamaha amps) during setup and the test tones the sub fires fine ? Also if I unhook the rcA CABLE and hook it back up the light comes on like it is receiving a signal.

Any suggestions? i suppose I could try wiring it with the low-level input connectors but would rather not for simplicitys sake

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Three things that come to mind to check are:
  1. The output level setting for the sub on the Yamaha
  2. The volume setting on the sub itself
  3. That whatever audio source you are playing contains frequencies below 80Hz
The output from the sub during the YPAO calibration may be quite a bit louder than you'd experience during normal operation (I don't know, but I'm assuming that it could be). So, I suggest checking the volume output from the Yamaha and the volume control on the sub. Try turning them up a bit to see if you can then hear something.

EDIT: Also make sure that you don't have the Yamaha in a sound mode that bypasses the bass management. I think that model has a Pure Direct mode, but I can't remember. I'll check the manual for you if you'd like - just let me know.

W

wstandis

Audioholic Intern
The LFE Setting is at 0db the range is -20 to 0
Output is set to half way up.
Yes I went through a few test dvd's

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just flipped through your manual. When you set the "Bass Out" setting, you are just telling the receiver where to direct the LFE signal. You aren't telling it to direct bass from the other speakers to the sub.

So, I'll ask this - did you set your speakers to "Small"? If not, do that and then please let us know if you get bass from the sub. Thanks.

W

wstandis

Audioholic Intern
Adam - thanks for all of your help here.

I guess i dont understand that? "When you set the "Bass Out" setting, you are just telling the receiver where to direct the LFE signal. You aren't telling it to direct bass from the other speakers to the sub."

that sounds like the same thing????

I made the switch and the light is still off???? Will it hurt if i run the signal into the Low level in instead of the LFE?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The LFE channel is the "low frequency effects" channel from Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks. It is the ".1" portion of the soundtrack. You can tell the receiver to send that channel to the subwoofer, to your main front speakers, or to both. [Strike]The "Bass Out" menu selection is for that channel.[/STRIKE]

In addition, you can tell the receiver to redirect low frequencies in other channels (i.e. front left/right channels, the center channel, and the surround channels) from the speakers corresponsing to those channels (i.e. front left/right speakers, center speaker, surround speakers) to the subwoofer instead. This is nice if you have smaller speakers that don't reproduce low frequencies as well as your sub does.

The LFE input on the sub is the same as the Low Level inputs except that it bypasses the sub's internal crossovers for the low-pass and high-pass filters. That's a nice thing because your Yamaha is already doing that, so you normally wouldn't want the sub to also do it. You can certainly connect it to either the left or right (you don't need both) Low Level input instead of the LFE input to see if there is a change.

EDIT: Oops! Dang it - that's twice today that I've mis-stated something. The "Bass Out" menu selection tells the receiver where to direct the LFE channel and the low frequencies from speakers that you've set to "Small." Sorry about that confusion. That said, you still need to have your speakers set to small in order to better guarantee that you'll have bass being sent to the sub. The LFE channel isn't present throughout an entire movie.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Questions:
1. How is your DVD player hooked up to your receiver? Analog cables or digital?
2. Are you running any bass management in the DVD player?

I'm not sure if those would have anything to do with this, though.

Also, and this isn't meant to be patronizing (but it sounds that way so I've put off asking it)...but it's happened to others: are you sure that you have the sub connected to the "SUBWOOFER PRE OUT" jack and not some other jack? You said that the sub makes noise during YPAO, so you probably have it all correct, but I want to ask to make sure.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
As mentioned previously, make sure that you aren't in "PURE DIRECT" mode. Also, just to be safe, make sure that you aren't in "STRAIGHT" mode, either.

W

wstandis

Audioholic Intern
Hey man ask away no offense taken - I am a big fan of stepping back at addressing the basics. But yes it is hooked up correct.

I think you may have headed me down the right track - I did get a new dvd player a few months back (yamaha dvd-s17000) and I am not sure I ever configured it as I was not really using the full extent of my ht setup.

Upon inital investigation I think this may be it. In the audio set up under size I am only able to slect the mains all the others say off and I dont seem able to change them. i will read the manual after I type this email. There was also something called cut off frequency which was set at 90 - and if this is dropping any level below that - and my Amp is only sending 80 and below to my sw then my SW would never get a signal.

Keep the ideas coming

Last edited:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
[*]The output level setting for the sub on the Yamaha
The LFE Setting is at 0db the range is -20 to 0
Those two are different. Adam meant the subwoofer speaker level, pg 61, should be around 0dB.

I'll dig into the manual a little more. Make sure the DVD is set to output bitstream not PCM (All, pg 28).

Also you haven't said whether you checked the speaker sizes, all should be small, pg58. And Bass Cross Over is set to 80 Hz, pg 60.

Set the Input Mode to Auto on the receiver.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis