Definitive Technology BP10 vs KEF Q500/Q700

K

Kaikias

Enthusiast
Hey all,
I'm thinking about upgrading my stereo setup and am looking at the above mentioned tower speakers, any experiences with these? I was also looking at some of Polks offerings, though reviews were mixed so I moved on.

It'll be for music only- various styles from classical, electro swing, house and the occasional operetta.

Thanks for any tips

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
As we normally tell people, without actually hearing then yourself and deciding which "you" like the sound of best, (individual taste in sound is very personal) the differences between the two speakers you've mentioned make it even more so because you're comparing Bi-poles to Mono-poles and they tend to have very different sound qualities, which creates considerably varied opinions on who likes the sound and who doesn't.
In general, while bi-poles can image very well, they are far more placement dependant and that imaging can be more diffuse, which some people just don't like.

Plus Definitive and Kef are not extremely neutral by design, they both have a distinct sound that they are trying to achieve, so you will really have to attempt to hear them without relying on a coin toss, as to whether you like them or not.

All of that said, I personally am a DefTech fan and still own an original pair of BP10's from the early 90's and have owned BP10b's also, and being bi-poles they will need a little more room to breathe and for placement tweaking in order for them to reach their full potential, but... the BP10 is very musical and well suited for HT also, it will play cleanly down between 35-30hz. It's actually one of my favorite DefTech speakers and is their longest single running model.
I just don't know the Kef's well enough to give you any insight with them.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
As we normally tell people, without actually hearing then yourself and deciding which "you" like the sound of best, (individual taste in sound is very personal) the differences between the two speakers you've mentioned make it even more so because you're comparing Bi-poles to Mono-poles and they tend to have very different sound qualities, which creates considerably varied opinions on who likes the sound and who doesn't.
In general, while bi-poles can image very well, they are far more placement dependant and that imaging can be more diffuse, which some people just don't like.

Plus Definitive and Kef are not extremely neutral by design, they both have a distinct sound that they are trying to achieve, so you will really have to attempt to hear them without relying on a coin toss, as to whether you like them or not.

All of that said, I personally am a DefTech fan and still own an original pair of BP10's from the early 90's and have owned BP10b's also, and being bi-poles they will need a little more room to breathe and for placement tweaking in order for them to reach their full potential, but... the BP10 is very musical and well suited for HT also, it will play cleanly down between 35-30hz. It's actually one of my favorite DefTech speakers and is their longest single running model.
I just don't know the Kef's well enough to give you any insight with them.
Why don't you think KEF is targeting a neutral sound? In my experience, I can't say that KEF has a particular house sound. The Blade may be an exception--there's always been something off when I've heard it--but we're not exactly in that price territory here. Can you describe what you think KEF is targeting?

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
Why don't you think KEF is targeting a neutral sound? In my experience, I can't say that KEF has a particular house sound. The Blade may be an exception--there's always been something off when I've heard it--but we're not exactly in that price territory here. Can you describe what you think KEF is targeting?
I've just always thought they had a slight midrange bump that I could pick out, not as strong as the DefTech's or GoldenEar's, but it just seems to be noticeable to me, it's something I don't particularly hear in something really neutral, like an Ascend or Aperion...

And it absolutely could just be me, but I guess in a way that would illustrate my point to the OP, we all hear different and to really do it right you have to experience a speaker, not just look at specs or popularity.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I've just always thought they had a slight midrange bump that I could pick out, not as strong as the DefTech's or GoldenEar's, but it just seems to be noticeable to me, it's something I don't particularly hear in something really neutral, like an Ascend or Aperion...

And it absolutely could just be me, but I guess in a way that would illustrate my point to the OP, we all hear different and to really do it right you have to experience a speaker, not just look at specs or popularity.
Well, I don't think they measure that way, and I can't say as I've heard it, but you're certainly right about listening to speakers to form your own judgment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis