Definitive technology advice

Y

Yankfanz51

Audiophyte
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and can use some advice. My system currently consists of a pair I'd def tech 8080STs, an 8080 center, 8040sr surrounds and a marantz 6008 receiver. I just purchased this system over the summer but just saw the new Mythos ST-L speakers that were just released. I'm sure nobody has heard them yet but do you think I should upgrade? The specs seem way better to me. Of course you pay for it but I have heard the mythos have a very distinct sound. Any advice would be great!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and can use some advice. My system currently consists of a pair I'd def tech 8080STs, an 8080 center, 8040sr surrounds and a marantz 6008 receiver. I just purchased this system over the summer but just saw the new Mythos ST-L speakers that were just released. I'm sure nobody has heard them yet but do you think I should upgrade? The specs seem way better to me. Of course you pay for it but I have heard the mythos have a very distinct sound. Any advice would be great!
Personally, I would go with what you have over the Mythos. I just about went this direction but ended up with the Goldenears instead (same heritage as DT).

I doubt the Mythos is much of an upgrade, more of form-factor than performance. And, DT has been known to inflate their numbers, so only trust 3rd party measurements. If you really want improvement, you can get better than the Mythos for the price.

My advice is keep what you have and add a Sub if you haven't done that yet.

I do like the DTs in general, I have a pair of the 350SMs that are a steal for the $200 I paid on Newegg.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The specs seem way better to me.
Specs bear no credence coming from DefTech or GoldenEar. :D

They exaggerate all their specs. Don't pay any attention to them. As long as your system sounds great, never upgrade! :D

Y

Yankfanz51

Audiophyte
Thanks guys. I wasn't even going off of specs actually. My thing was that I sometimes notice that the highs are flat sometimes. The mythos and 8080's are rated at the same 30khz but I figured because of the solid cabinet it would help out.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks guys. I wasn't even going off of specs actually. My thing was that I sometimes notice that the highs are flat sometimes. The mythos and 8080's are rated at the same 30khz but I figured because of the solid cabinet it would help out.
Like I said previously, you already have pretty good speakers. The Mythos is a lot of money for no upgrade or very small upgrade. For the price of the Mythos, you could certainly find speakers from another brand that will out-perform either the Mythos or the STs.

Sometimes, you spend a lot of $ to find these things out for yourself. That's just the nature of the hobby.

Again, if you want to improve your current setup, go with a big-boy sub or 2. Yes, I know the STs have the built in subs and amps, but it still won't compete with a dedicated sub from Rythmik, HSU, SVS, etc. If it were 100% music, then no sub needed. For movies, sub is needed.

As far as the highs being flat, have you run the RC on your Marantz? If not, then try that. If you have, then try to disable the RC and see if that corrects the problem on the highs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I doubt you will notice a difference in the treble or the cabinet resonance.

Are you using Audyssey?

Y

Yankfanz51

Audiophyte
Audyssey doesn't work for def tech..I would go with another brand but if I told you what I pay for definitive technology stuff you would understand why I use them lol. Do you guys know I'm talking about the NEW mythos? The ST-L, not the ST.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Audyssey doesn't work for def tech..I would go with another brand but if I told you what I pay for definitive technology stuff you would understand why I use them lol. Do you guys know I'm talking about the NEW mythos? The ST-L, not the ST.
Just hook the LFE output from the AVR to the LFE inputs of the DefTech. Run Audyssey. Then manually set speakers to small, XO to 80Hz. Then set Audyssey Bypass L/R + Dynamic EQ on, Dynamic Volume off. This will bypass Audyssey, but it will equalize the active subwoofer of the DefTech.

Experiment and try new things.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I still stand firmly behind my statement "you can do better for the $", whether talking about ST or ST-L. The thing with the Mythos is it is form factor and aesthetics over performance and function.

Do you run a separate Sub? Put the $ there first.

Y

Yankfanz51

Audiophyte
At the moment i don't...just graduated college so I still live at home and this system is in my 13x13 bedroom lol. One thing I do wish I did was go amp/preamp but oh well. For now the 6008 is fine. If I was to get a sub I'd probably get a veladyne

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
At the moment i don't...just graduated college so I still live at home and this system is in my 13x13 bedroom lol. One thing I do wish I did was go amp/preamp but oh well. For now the 6008 is fine. If I was to get a sub I'd probably get a veladyne
Keep the 8080s. Get a good sub(s) and spend some time, not money, tuning with the new sub you bought with the money saved on new mains. ;)

FWIW, I love my PSA XS-15 sub.

POWER SOUND AUDIO — XS15 Home Audio Subwoofer

D

dentonator

Audiophyte
Hey guys, need advice
I'm looking to buy a set of good speakers for music/HT and wondered if $3750 is a good price for Definitive technology 5yr old 7.2 set of 2 Mythos st, 3 Mythos ten and 2 Gem Xl?
How would a 5 pieces Polk Rti A9 set would rate against it being 3 yrs old and twice cheaper (2 -Rti a9, 1-CSI A6, 2 FXi A6)?
Thank you

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hey guys, need advice
I'm looking to buy a set of good speakers for music/HT and wondered if $3750 is a good price for Definitive technology 5yr old 7.2 set of 2 Mythos st, 3 Mythos ten and 2 Gem Xl?
How would a 5 pieces Polk Rti A9 set would rate against it being 3 yrs old and twice cheaper (2 -Rti a9, 1-CSI A6, 2 FXi A6)?
Thank you
Def Tech is a good brand, but for 3750 you can get a pair of Philharmonic 3s or JBL LSR6332s. I understand the desire for a full theater setup and it is nice to have, but if you really focus on music the later 2 options are among the best speakers in the world. The Phil 3s actually don't need a subwoofer.

Be sure to shop around you can certainly come up with something better for 3750 IMO.

D

dentonator

Audiophyte
Isibirian, thank you for the advice! I'm new to the "world of sound" and may be was naive thinking that same speakers that perform great for music would be also great for theater set up. Just to clarify, you suggest a 2.1 set with JBLs or a pair of Philharmonic 3s for music , right?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis