Dedicated preamp vs. pre-out from receiver

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I have been looking for a matching preamp for my Yamaha amp for a very long time, still no luck. So I am finally thinking about buying a receiver, and use the receiver's pre-outs.

Any recommendations on a mid level receiver with good pre-out? This will be used exclusively for a 2 channel music system.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Yamaha RX-V2500 has the best preamp in a $1k system we have seen. It makes for a fantastic processor.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Thanks for the reply.

I am still debating whether I should buy a dedicated preamp vs. buying a receiver with pre-outs.

With receivers, I can use the optical connection from my CD player to link it to the receiver, and use the receiver's DAC for D/A conversion.

Decisions, decisions...

Does it make any sense just to buy a dedicated 2 channel preamp anymore nowadays? Given what you can get in a receiver for much much less money?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If your goal is 2ch and hometheater, I would opt for using a moderately priced receiver as a pre/pro. The processing section of the RX-V2500 for example rivals most dedicated pre/pro's in the $2-3k price range. Its really that good! Combine the RX-V2500 with a good 7CH amp and you have quite an excellent all around system.

K

KevinF

Enthusiast
gene said:
If your goal is 2ch and hometheater, I would opt for using a moderately priced receiver as a pre/pro. The processing section of the RX-V2500 for example rivals most dedicated pre/pro's in the $2-3k price range. Its really that good! Combine the RX-V2500 with a good 7CH amp and you have quite an excellent all around system.
Gene:

In your view, is that also the case for its predecessor, the RX-V2400? Or was something done in the 2500 that improved the preamp over the other models? Also, same question, I guess for the 1500 and 1400. Do they rival the 2500 as a processor/preamp?

Thanks.

B

brendy

Audioholic
Denon still makes a stereo only receiver (DRA-685) that has a pre-out main-in connection.Given your 2 channel preference why spend extra money on multi-channel.Crutchfield has it on the web site.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
gene said:
The Yamaha RX-V2500 has the best preamp in a $1k system we have seen. It makes for a fantastic processor.
Gene, for 2 channel music, and used as a preamp only, do you think the Denon AVR3805 is as good as the RX-V2500?

I tried it with a Bryston 4B SST and a Adcom GFA-555, either case I was satisfied with the sound quality, but I could not tell much difference between the 4B and the 555, other than subjectively the 4B seemed to have a wider sound stage. I wonder if my system is now preamp limited (i.e. the 3805).

Sorry furrycute if I am a little off topic.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Peng;

The sonic differences between 2 good amps is subtle at best assuming they are operated within their design limits. The advantage the RX-V2500 has over the AVR-3805 via preouts is a slightly lower noise floor which can be audible depending on the amp gain structure and sensitivity of your speakers and how close you sit to the speakers.

I suggest working more on your room and speaker placement before changing out any gear. Lower the noisefloor in your room and you will increase dynamic range and hear more of the nuances of the music.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My speakers are Veritas V2.3i, not too sensitive (anechoic sensitivity 87dB). I always listen from about 15 ft away from the speakers. So aside from noise level, you are saying the 3805 is comparable to the 3805, again, use as prepro only with my 2 channel amp.

Thanks.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Then what's the advantage of using a dedicated preamp over using the pre-outs on a receiver?

Is it lower noise floor?

For a while I have been using the preouts on my Yamaha CAVIT USB soundcard (don't laugh). And I can definitely hear the noise coming from those pre-outs.

But I just can't justify the over thousand dollar price tag most dedicated preamps command nowadays.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
IF your doing home theater, there really is no advantage to buying a separate 2CH preamp if you already have a quality receiver from Denon/Yamaha/Integra. The preamp sections in their $1k and up receivers are very good to excellent.

Again if you already have a 3805, don't waste your time exchanging it for a 2500. Seems like you are in good shape as is. Now work on that room :rolleyes:

M

mawst95

Audioholic Intern
Gene-

I've been lurking for a while here and I never hear you mention anything about Pioneer's Elite line. Is that because they did not review well in your hands or you haven't had a chance to review them? I am curious how they stack up--even in your subjective opinion--to similarly priced offerings from Yamaha/Denon/HK etc..

Matt

B

bertsummerkids

Audiophyte
the dedicated preamp is designed to be used as a preamp only versus the receiver which operates as an amp and preamp. this allows the unit to dedicate its whole work load for processing only and the entire power source gets utilized for that function only. as a result the sound quality is significantly improved and will note a cleaner, tighter sound. with a good preamp the internal build is more solid, better components and also the ability to upgrade if different processing should be available

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
bertsummerkids said:
this allows the unit to dedicate its whole work load for processing only and the entire power source gets utilized for that function only. as a result the sound quality is significantly improved and will note a cleaner, tighter sound. with a good preamp the internal build is more solid, better components and also the ability to upgrade if different processing should be available
I must be a deaf man: I did not hear a "signficantly improved" sound with "cleaner, tighter sound" as you describe between a $25 thrift store Harmon Kardon AVR55 reciever's built in preamp as compared to my former Stereophile recommended preamp which it replaced(Adcom 750). I actually like the receiver as a preamp better; it has bright illuminuated digital readout display for the volume level settings.

But maybe I just forgot to listen to my inner audiophile? :D

-Chris

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Is that because they did not review well in your hands or you haven't had a chance to review them? I am curious how they stack up--even in your subjective opinion--to similarly priced offerings from Yamaha/Denon/HK etc
Pioneer Elite makes some very nice receivers. We recently made contact with them and currently reviewing a Pioneer receiver at the moment. Hopefully we will do Elite soon as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis