Decrease the sound coming out of media room

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I am building media room 16' x 19' (long) x 10' (ceiling)

Media Room is on 2nd floor above living room. No other floor above media room. One door. No windows.

I want to reduce the sound that will come out of it. Is that a big issue in general? Would it disturb my neighbors next door?

Per builder:

Exterior walls and roof line will be foamed to encapsulate your house - hold Av temp in and keep exterior out. Pretty much all new houses are foamed due to the new adopted energy code and the saving in heating/cooling a home of your size.

Rock wool will be placed in walls that are not foamed and below floor. Cost of Rockwool $2000. This is an added option to go along with the sound proof Sheetrock $3230 and $1,480.00 for sound board and channel.

Will choosing rockwool alone be sufficient. Soundproof sheetrock is to expensive. Is sound board and channel needed too?

I know sound proofing is expensive and complicated. Hence wondering if above solutions will decrease the sound in a meaningful manner or am I just wasting money on it.

Will appreciate input. Thanks.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
It’s not clear if you’re concerned about the living room below or next door residences. If the latter, is this a free-standing home, or a townhouse with neighbors behind a wall?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
Free standing house. No wall sharing. Media room will be 40 feet away from neighbors house on one side and much faster from other neighbour as media room will be on the one end of house above living room.

My bigger worry would be neighbors and lesser worry about sound traveling in the house.

I am wondering how big of an issue is sound traveling through media rooms? Spec houses that are built have zero sound proofing or reduction.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
My post here pretty much explains it all.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
My post here pretty much explains it all.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I read that article. Making room sound proof is a lot of work and expensive. I won't be doing all of that or have double dry walls then I need to make brackets for speakers if I do double dry wall.

(1) My option is Rockwool insulation for $2000. Will it make a meaningful difference for me to spend $2000 or am I better off saving that money?

(2) All the house sold with media rooms are not sound proof or even sound reduced. How many people face an issue with that? I could not find much about it.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry, but I have no way of knowing how effective Rockwool will be. I expect not a lot, because soundproofing requires mass (which doubling and tripling up on drywall gets), and Rockwool isn’t going to have anything near the kind of mass that drywall does.

As far as dealing with it, I expect most people simply don’t use the system when other people are sleeping or doing something that needs quiet.

BTW, forgot to address the neighbor issue. With free-standing houses, I can’t imagine how they could be disturbed. It’s never been a problem for me.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis