Decisions: Soundbar or 3.1

D

dbw1288

Audiophyte
Hey Everyone,

I have visited this site for years but this is my first post. I am looking for some advice on making a decision for my TV sound setup and for some this my seem like an obvious decision.

I have some A5's that I use for listening to music (no S8 yet, but maybe soon). I tried using these for movies/TV and I found myself having to constantly adjust the volume level because I could not find a balance between dialogue and music/effects. I assumed this was due to a lack of center channel.

I have a pair of old advents that I restored about a year ago (new surrounds and new capacitors). I was thinking about buying a center channel, sub-woofer, and receiver and pairing them all together.

Is it worth going this route or easier just to buy a TV soundbar w/ sub? I'm trying to stay around ~ $400.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"easier" is a pretty subjective term.

With a soundbar, all speakers and electronics (except perhaps a sub) are in one box generally placed under the TV.

With a 3.1 system, you've got three separate speakers and a receiver to contend with. ...not to mention s sub if you so choose.

Now, as for sound, I would prefer the 3.1 approach but if "easier" is your goal, well then...

D

dbw1288

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback, I should have been more specific. I feel that the sound would be better with the 3.1 but I am not sure I could complete the system w/ decent components for the price range I have in mind. I don't mind the work setting it all up.

It would be cool to put the advents to good use.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
3.1 if you have room. Look at this site for some refurb deals: http://www.accessories4less.com/ I recently bought a soundbar and a 10 inch sub that had had lying around for my PJ setup and I am happy so far.

B

big O

Junior Audioholic
in my experience, low dialogue is not due to lack of a center channel - some movies are just mixed poorly. also because the center channel is not just for dialogue, simply turning up the center hardly helps. i would suggest turning on dynamic control if you have it.

you can put together a nice 2.1 or 3.1 system used pretty cheap that would blow away a sound bar easily imo. or even a nice 2.0 system with large speakers and forgo the sub

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
What are these A5 and S8 you refer to? Not these I'm sure :D:

A5

S8

D

dbw1288

Audiophyte
Interesting...I guess I will check out some decent receivers and start there with just the advents. Thanks for the input

B

big O

Junior Audioholic
look for used receivers as well. some of the low priced new ones have horrible sound quality.

i had a mid range denon and it sounded great.

D

dbw1288

Audiophyte
Good Point... I found a yamaha RX-V2500 for $150. It looks like it was top of the line in 2005 when it was bought. Seems like it should do the job.

D

dbw1288

Audiophyte
Well.... Maybe the yamaha isn't a great idea considering it has no HDMI inputs.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Did you look at the site I posted? They have good deals. Pick a couple and then we can tell you which ones to consider.

D

dbw1288

Audiophyte
How about the Denon AVR-E300 5.1 ? It's factory refurbished for $200. That's seems legit and it is all I need with room to grow. Cool site, thanks for reminding me.

D

dbw1288

Audiophyte
Well...After looking around I am thinking about getting a receiver and two floor-standing speakers. So much for the budget. Both of these receives look very comparable...

Receiver:

Denon AVR-E300 or Yamaha RX-V475

Speakers:

Focal Chorus 727

Does anyone have any better suggestions for ~$1500

Last edited:
B

big O

Junior Audioholic
1500 can get you a pretty nice system. whats the used craiglist market in your area look like?

ive typically found that if you are buying used and are not a bs'er , the seller will let you demo it in his house and that imo is better than buying new unheard and definitely better than the setup at the big box stores where everything sounds the same.

just be safe out there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis