Decision made...............but calibrate now or later?

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
After months of deliberation I've decided on a HDTV..............................the Mitsubishi 55315. I had my mind set on a Samsung HLP-5663 but, after weighing the costs along with all the pros & cons, I decided to go "primitive" & get this RPCRT. I'll be getting a new (not demo) set $1399 vs about $3400 for the Sammy (when figuring tax & 4 year ex. warr.). Yes, I know this is pretty much the bottom of Mitsu.'s line but I believe there is still good value here as this unit appears to have a pretty good track record & should carry me through until 1080P is the new standard.

However, I'm in an apt. right now & in the midst of house shopping which has been discouraging to say the least (Seattle market insane right now........$200K for a 900sft rambler 25 miles N. of Sea. :eek: ). Should I bother having this thing calibrated right away or wait til I'm settled in a house (which could be anywhere from 3-6 months)? Seems to me that after proper calibration (found a guy who'll do it for $230 flat, is certified & has meters) the only issue after moving the set might be convergence but I don't know.

Suggestions anyone? If the picture isn't too bad right out of the box I may just wait.

R

Red

Audioholic
If it were me I would do a calibration myself with the AVIA or Video Essentials DVDs first...that will surely help right out of the box. Then after the move, if you aren't happy with the picture or just think the professional calibration will bring the Mits to its full potential then go for it. $250 seems likely a very reasonable price.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Thanks Red.......................sounds like a logical approach. Should also get me acquainted with the Avia disc since I've never used it before.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I second the wait till you move idea. I'd worry more about losing bumping a lens loose when it gets moved. Just tune it as best you can for now and have a pro do it later if it needs it. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis