Dead pixel in my new Plasma?

Highgear

Highgear

Audioholic Intern
We purchased a new Panasonic TH-42PX5OU plasma last month. Last night I noticed when the screen went to an all white segment in a commercial that two pixels that are connected and diagonal to each other are stuck on red. It is so minuscule that it may have been there from day one. I have heard of dead pixels on LCD's but never on Plasmas. Anyone else hear of this happening on plasmas?

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
It may be a burned out light. Plasma's eventually burn out, but since yours is new, you should take it back to where you bought it. Also I'm not sure if your trying to describe "red push", which, by definition, "refers to the tendency of a television's color decoder to accentuate the color of red as compared to blue and green. Typically, this is intentionally caused to compensate for an overly blue color temperature."

Last edited:
J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
Yep.. take that puppy back.

Dead pixels are most certainly possible on Plasma TVs. In fact, I think the only thing that can't have dead pixels is a CRT, because it doesn't really have individual pixels. A Plasma TV is basically millions of tiny lights making up the image. And you've got some that appear to be burned out.

Make use of the warranty before it expires. :)

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
What you describe sounds more like a couple of stuck pixels. Most PDP's have and exclusion under the warranty whereas they will only replace the panel if there are a certaing number of bad pixels within a given area. If your dealer is amiable, they should exchange it....but they're likely not required to do so.

Mort

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis