B

Britney meyers

Enthusiast
Hello all :)

I know this is a newbie question but I need to know this.

I have been arguing with my neighbor about what sounds better

DTS or DD

I've done searches on this subject but I'm not getting the answers I'm looking for.

What is the difference between the two???

Thanks a bunch
Britney :)

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
either.. both.. it all depends on the sound engineer who did that particular mix and what equipment you are playing it on. Some of the Sony stuff in particular (STR-DA 995 or 915 in my experience) seems to have alot of trouble with DTS.

When given a choice, I use the DTS track on my Yamaha 2500.

Aarong

Enthusiast
I personally prefer DTS.

I've not listened to very many DTS movies, but those that I have heard sound noticely better than DD 5.1. The DTS audio has a more natural feel to it, whereas the DD seems to have more separation between the channels. DTS blends the channels together nicely. I just watched Master & Commander last night in DTS after reading about it in this forum. Great sounding movie.

I have only had my DTS receiver for a couple months now, but now the first thing I look for on DVDs is that lovely DTS logo.

I do agree with Leprkon though, the effectiveness of either is in the hands of the person mixing the audio.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
When it comes to watching movies on a home theatre I always go with DTS when its encoded. However when going to watch a movie at my local cinema I always prefer Dolby Digital. DD seems much more natural than DTS in cinema situations. DTS seems somewhat aggressive in the mids and highs. Even when the auditoriums are EQ'd correctly and has the levels set properly.

Cheers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis