DCM TFE100 floor standing speaker system

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
A friend an I went to one of our favorite places to eat, but when we arrived they where packed. They had a 60-70 minute wait at the restaurant. I wasn't going to stand in a crowd of people for that long, so we decided to put our name in and come back in about 50 minutes.

How to kill time...?

Let's just go to some stores. I stopped at a nearby local electronics/appliances store to pass the time. They had used to carry some pretty decent brand electronics but had long since abandoned audio sales for HDTVs and appliances. They are much like H.H.Gregg, only there wasn't about 10 dudes all trying to get me to apply for a credit line. They are also different in the respect that they have trouble handling audio. They carried, Sherwood (Newcastle), Onkyo, Harman Kardon, PSB, Energy, DCM, BIC America, and strangely HSU (which blows my mind, no one else in the area carries them).

Certainly this company is the reason a few HSU products pop up in pawn shops every now and again in my area. That is how I happened to get the STF-2.

The store is closing out floor models of their speakers. They have an STF-1 (yet to be priced), Energy EXL25 floor standers, and the DCM TFE100 towers. The Energys are marked down to $80 for the pair. When I saw this I about crapped my pants. That seemed like a great deal. The DCM TFE100s where marked down to $150, still a great deal. I was really focused on the Energys and gave them a listen, but I had a poor selection of music (theirs) as I had none with me. The Energys where not wowing me like I had heard other people describe in their personal reviews and such.

Switch over to the DCMs, wow, huge difference. The detail was much better, but they weren't as bright as the Energys. The DCMs are significantly larger giving them an edge in bass. The Jazz CD I was listening to had a lot of piano segments in it. The Energys did not convey this properly, the DCMs did a much better job of recreating the piano's sound.

Here's the rub... the Energys are 93 dB/1w/1m 8ohms, the DCMs are 88dB/1w/1m 6 ohms. I know, ouch. That's not going to be easy for the Teac. Looks a job for the old Insignia/Sherwood stereo receiver.:D

Any thoughts?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A friend an I went to one of our favorite places to eat, but when we arrived they where packed. They had a 60-70 minute wait at the restaurant. I wasn't going to stand in a crowd of people for that long, so we decided to put our name in and come back in about 50 minutes.

How to kill time...?

Let's just go to some stores. I stopped at a nearby local electronics/appliances store to pass the time. They had used to carry some pretty decent brand electronics but had long since abandoned audio sales for HDTVs and appliances. They are much like H.H.Gregg, only there wasn't about 10 dudes all trying to get me to apply for a credit line. They are also different in the respect that they have trouble handling audio. They carried, Sherwood (Newcastle), Onkyo, Harman Kardon, PSB, Energy, DCM, BIC America, and strangely HSU (which blows my mind, no one else in the area carries them).

Certainly this company is the reason a few HSU products pop up in pawn shops every now and again in my area. That is how I happened to get the STF-2.

The store is closing out floor models of their speakers. They have an STF-1 (yet to be priced), Energy EXL25 floor standers, and the DCM TFE100 towers. The Energys are marked down to $80 for the pair. When I saw this I about crapped my pants. That seemed like a great deal. The DCM TFE100s where marked down to $150, still a great deal. I was really focused on the Energys and gave them a listen, but I had a poor selection of music (theirs) as I had none with me. The Energys where not wowing me like I had heard other people describe in their personal reviews and such.

Switch over to the DCMs, wow, huge difference. The detail was much better, but they weren't as bright as the Energys. The DCMs are significantly larger giving them an edge in bass. The Jazz CD I was listening to had a lot of piano segments in it. The Energys did not convey this properly, the DCMs did a much better job of recreating the piano's sound.

Here's the rub... the Energys are 93 dB/1w/1m 8ohms, the DCMs are 88dB/1w/1m 6 ohms. I know, ouch. That's not going to be easy for the Teac. Looks a job for the old Insignia/Sherwood stereo receiver.:D

Any thoughts?
That'll learn ya for going to a hifi shop on your spare time!!! :p :D

Who makes DCM? Never heard of them. I'm only curious, not passing a judgement call on them. See if you can pick up a used NAD integrated amp on Ebay. You maybe better off than Sherwood unless that the Sherwood monster you posted pics of a while back. I'm not sure now. I know NAD would easily power the DCMs

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
i had some time frames(that the ex has now) and they were my first set of real speakers and awesome. I think they are made in michigan

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I wish someone else has had these, apparently they aren't very common.

B

brulaha

Audioholic
I don't understand why you would buy a set of speakers when you just put your sub up for sale because you need money.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I don't understand why you would buy a set of speakers when you just put your sub up for sale because you need money.
I have compulsive purchasing disorder. I know a guy in town that would probably buy them off of me (if I chose to buy them) for more than $150. The subwoofer I sold I spent $80 on in a very fortunate sale. Buying and selling is one of the ways I scrape by.;)

annunaki

annunaki

That'll learn ya for going to a hifi shop on your spare time!!! :p :D

Who makes DCM? Never heard of them. I'm only curious, not passing a judgement call on them. See if you can pick up a used NAD integrated amp on Ebay. You maybe better off than Sherwood unless that the Sherwood monster you posted pics of a while back. I'm not sure now. I know NAD would easily power the DCMs
DCM is owned by the Mitek corporation. Some of their new stuff is quite decent for the price. They have a nice natural sound to them. A bit toward the dark side of neutral. Quite pleasing actually.

fitness1

fitness1

Audioholic
DCM's were built here in MI.....at one time in the late 70's, you couldn't turn around without bumping into a set of them - LOL

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis