Dayton audio Hf 12” build

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
So my original plan was to go sealed but after reading some more I’m think of sticking with ported. I just haven’t had a sealed sub in years and forget what they are like. I’m using a sledge 400 rms svs plate amp off a nsd. This is strictly for music. Any suggestions? Rooms around 400 sq feet that opens up to kitchen and the main hall that has stairs to go to 2nd floor and hardwood floors. Any idea if I need to go ported?

annunaki

annunaki

Have you modeled it? I assume you mean the RSS315HF?

I know Dayton supplies a recommended 2.05ft^3 Tuned to 30hz. From my Modeling memory I know it will tune down to Fs but need around 3ft^3 to do so. You will need to do at a minimum around 24in^2 of vent area. If I get a chance I will model it.

There are plenty of builds with this driver on The PE tech talk forums. I would search there also.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
Hmm didn’t know they had a forum lol. And I don’t know how to model a sub to be honest lol. I’ll check over at pe and see if I can see some builds that have had success and build plans

Edit**
I’m still finding a lot of people that says this sub works amazing sealed. I rather stay with a smaller box so I may still try and do a sealed enclosure and see how it does. Looks like a 2 cube or just over works well with some Polly fill.

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

I did a quick Model this morning.
Vented:
  • 3.0ft^3 Tuned to 24hz
  • 20in^2 of vent area (2" x 10" slot vent) at 27.4" long
  • Yields a -3db point anechoic (no room gain) at 24.5hz
  • Cone Excursion stays in check even with 400 watts input power
  • Vent Velocity stays below 17m/s even with 400 watts input power
  • An infrasonic filter 4th order at 15 hz was used to keep the vent excursion in check and protect the woofer below tuning. This could be increased to 18hz without impacting extension much
If you want to go sealed you can, but you will give up a lot of the every low end performance since the F3 moves all the way up to 45hz.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
I did a quick Model this morning.
Vented:
  • 3.0ft^3 Tuned to 24hz
  • 20in^2 of vent area (2" x 10" slot vent) at 27.4" long
  • Yields a -3db point anechoic (no room gain) at 24.5hz
  • Cone Excursion stays in check even with 400 watts input power
  • Vent Velocity stays below 17m/s even with 400 watts input power
  • An infrasonic filter 4th order at 15 hz was used to keep the vent excursion in check and protect the woofer below tuning. This could be increased to 18hz without impacting extension much
If you want to go sealed you can, but you will give up a lot of the every low end performance since the F3 moves all the way up to 45hz.
Wow thank you! Maybe I’ll just try this out and see how it goes. I tried to download winisd but have a Mac and I couldn’t. I’ll try and figure out some sizes that will work to get me that 3 ft^3

annunaki

annunaki

Let me know if you need help. The vent will displace some volume as well so you need to account for that along with bracing and the driver itself.

If the vent uses an enclosure wall you can cut down on how much air it displaces. If you did that you need to account for about an extra .33ft^3.

So if you design for 3.45ft^3 you should be fine.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
So I have only 2 spots for placement in the living room. One is in front of the bay window and the other is off to the side
I can do 19 wide, 20 high and 20 deep. Or some where close to those measurements with a double front baffle. Sub I believe is .2 ft^3 displacement. The amp will be attached to the back and yes I’ll use the bottom of the sub box as a port. Hoping to get this cut and put together tomorrow as I’m picking up a table saw in the morning so want to get a cut list together

annunaki

annunaki

With your dimensions it comes out about perfect to what you need with an assumed 3/4” MDF or ply.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
With your dimensions it comes out about perfect to what you need with an assumed 3/4” MDF or ply.
So do you think I’m ok with those measurements and building the port to your measurements and bracing ect I will be ok?

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
Well got the box built and tested it out, hits very low, shakes a lot In the house but I feel like it’s
Missing some punch. I also think I need a mini dsp for it. But with my left over wood I think I may build a sealed box just to see if I enjoy that better

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis