Day Late and $100 Short

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
This poor guy has been trying to sell this DIY kit for a long time now. Possibly since last year, because I think I remember seeing them when I was speaker shopping. I peruse CL yesterday and see this:

OUCH.jpg

I was 100% going to grab these and sell the drivers (yeah I'm a slimeball :D). But he never returned any emails so I'll assume somebody beat me to the punch... Ah well, ya snooze, ya lose!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I like that the seller is showing "beer can for scale" just in case one cannot judge a size based on a yard stick. Very helpful!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

NaO Note II rs is a fairly famous design. at $100/pr these basically free.
From webArchive:

And someone else build:

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/8lw2oi
Yeah, sad that he gave up on selling them. I don't know his circumstances but I personally would have offered to drive and meet within a couple hours radius for a serious buyer.

Hampton Roads is pretty bad for hi-fi though. You get vintage collectors on one hand, and those who only buy famous brand names on the other. Around here, people know Bose, Klipsch, and not much else.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What on earth is this a crazy diy design ? And they sold it for $100? Or is it even real or fake click bait ???
Open baffles clearer for music ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What on earth is this a crazy diy design ? And they sold it for $100? Or is it even real or fake click bait ???

Did you read the third post? @BoredSysAdmin gave a pretty good, succinct explanation what they are and provided links even...

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

That's actually considered one of the most accurate systems you can have. But as the ad says, you'll need 8 discreet amplifiers as well as active DSP/crossovers. The electronics will cost considerably more than the materials to build the speakers themselves, but it would provide room correction and time alignment. A passive crossover could never accomplish that.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That's actually considered one of the most accurate systems you can have. But as the ad says, you'll need 8 discreet amplifiers as well as active DSP/crossovers. The electronics will cost considerably more than the materials to build the speakers themselves, but it would provide room correction and time alignment. A passive crossover could never accomplish that.
I love the sound of dipole woofers, they just tend to sound great no matter the listening position.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Holy small world, Batman! I bumped into these speakers today!

So I drove a little ways out of town to buy a pair of Signet SL388's for a steal. When I went upstairs into the seller's mancave, I saw those very dipoles sitting to the side!

"You bought those for $100 off Craigslist, didn't you?"

He looked at me funny. "No, a friend sold them to me."

"Well he paid 100. I was trying to get them too, but your friend beat me to it."

Turns out his friend sold them to him for $300. Still a hell of a deal. But this fellow is actually building the system to use them! He had already bought the DSP and an 11-channel amp (he got one cheap because a channel was blown... he still has 2 to spare :D) and was still in the process of studying how to set it all up before he went all in. He had an abundance of toys to keep him busy in the meantime. It was a fun visit.

Blew my mind at the depth of that coincidence.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I saw the same on Craigslist as well. I live in Williamsburg and decided it was too much of an investment in electronics to get them up and running .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis