Darkness with the Samsung 850

bupton

bupton

Junior Audioholic
Hi all. I am currently running a Samsung HD 850, until I can get a good deal on a Denon 3910, and have been experiencing some really dark passages with it. This mainly occurs in dark scenes where there is a fair amount of shadow. Now I know that might sound odd, talking about darkness in dark and shadowy scenes, but I am talking REALLY dark here. The image looks great on birght scenes, but it almost seems like there is no contrast ratio at all in the shadows, ie it is either really dark or really light. I have the dvd player connected via a hdmi to dvi cable to my jvc rptv, and the dvd player is currenly set to upconvert to 1080i. I have similar results when it is set to 480p and 720p, but just not quite as extreme. Has anyone else had any experience with this issue, or this dvd player for that matter?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You need to make sure you have properly adjusted the picture settings on your TV. You need a test DVD for the appropriate tests. If you have not done this, then you probably simply need to adjust your TV.

Also, does this problem exist on sources other than DVD? If so, then you can be certain that it is not a problem with your DVD player. (If it is only with the DVD player, it could still be an adjustment issue on your TV, so don't be too quick to condemn you DVD player.)

bupton

bupton

Junior Audioholic
Yes

Yea, it only seems to happen on this particular dvd player. It didnt do it on my old JVC player that I can recall. Plus, it only seems to happen when I have the Samsung set to upconvert to either 720 or 1080. I have it connected via an hdmi to dvi cable and think I am going to try it out using the component connections now. I have heard that the JVC displays, especially the early ones like mine, had problems with their dvi connections...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis