Danley Sound Labs THSPUD

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Amp recommendation for unpowered sub

I just ordered an unpowered sub and was wondering what Pro-Audio amps might be good candidates. The manufacturer indicates that the sub presents a 2 ohm load to the map and will require at least 600 watts. They suggested this Danley DSLA 1.7k amp but at $1,600, I think there might be something comparable or better.

I am also considering one of the DSONIC ICE powered Mono block units that will provide more than 1000W @ <$1K.

Comments or recommendations are welcome.:)

BTW, I am building a new equipment closet outside of the HT so fan noise will not be an issue. That said, I would rather have a cool running amp as the closet will be vented into living space via a louvered door.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Hey rmk,

What kind of subwoofer are you getting?

I've used and abused a lot of different pro-amps, so I might be able to help you.

Even though your putting it in a closet, I'd one with at least a variable speed fan because it will keep the dust from getting in too bad. Most amps do have that now though.

The QSC RMX 1850HD is 900watts at 2-ohms, and is like 600 bucks. The RMX is a well proven design and QSC is great to deal with. It's an absolute bargain. The club I'm playing at tonight uses QSC amps for the main cabs, horn subs and bass bins ... and it is fairly easy to make people make the "bass-face" ... where their ears start to warm and their eyeballs vibrate and they make that squinting expression... so, in your home this amp should work nicely.

I have not tried the DCA amp listed above, but I bet that would work well too. I just don't have any experience with it to base that off of. QSC makes nice stuff though, your pretty safe with them.

The Crest CA6 is a 1500 watt (600 @ 2) amp for about $1,200 without shopping around too much. It's a workhorse. For $1,400 you can get the 2000watt CA9, which would give you some more headroom. Crest makes a great product.. .you pay a bit more but I don't feel like they aren't a value. If your on a tighter budget, look at the CD1500, which is a 1500W (900watt @ 2-ohms) amp for about 900 bucks. For home use this will be a good choice, its a very nice amp for the money.

If there is another amp in specific you are interested in, let me know and I'll tell you if I have used it before.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the info guys, both the Berringer and the QSC look like they could do the job. Unfortunately, my sub was shipped out today wired as 2 ohm:eek:. Note, neither of these models suggests bridging a 2 ohm load is doable. That may to make it a bit more difficult to find an amp that can drive it.

I think I will try the D-Sonic mono block. It is ICE powered, will output >1000W @ 2oms, runs cool and has a nice small form factor. I heard a very similar sub using a Wyred for Sound Ice Powered Mono block and it did the job. Plus, D-Sonic has a 21 day trail period.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the info guys, both the Berringer and the QSC look like they could do the job. Unfortunately, my sub was shipped out today wired as 2 ohm:eek:. Note, neither of these models suggests bridging a 2 ohm load is doable. That may to make it a bit more difficult to find an amp that can drive it.

I think I will try the D-Sonic mono block. It is ICE powered, will output >1000W @ 2oms, runs cool and has a nice small form factor. I heard a very similar sub using a Wyred for Sound Ice Powered Mono block and it did the job. Plus, D-Sonic has a 21 day trail period.

What do you need to bridge for? You just run the QSC RMX off one channel and save the other for another subwoofer. 900w for a 600w IEC sub is about right.

What kind of subwoofer are you powering?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Hey rmk,

What kind of subwoofer are you getting?

I've used and abused a lot of different pro-amps, so I might be able to help you.

Even though your putting it in a closet, I'd one with at least a variable speed fan because it will keep the dust from getting in too bad. Most amps do have that now though.

The QSC RMX 1850HD is 900watts at 2-ohms, and is like 600 bucks. The RMX is a well proven design and QSC is great to deal with. It's an absolute bargain. The club I'm playing at tonight uses QSC amps for the main cabs, horn subs and bass bins ... and it is fairly easy to make people make the "bass-face" ... where their ears start to warm and their eyeballs vibrate and they make that squinting expression... so, in your home this amp should work nicely.

I have not tried the DCA amp listed above, but I bet that would work well too. I just don't have any experience with it to base that off of. QSC makes nice stuff though, your pretty safe with them.

The Crest CA6 is a 1500 watt (600 @ 2) amp for about $1,200 without shopping around too much. It's a workhorse. For $1,400 you can get the 2000watt CA9, which would give you some more headroom. Crest makes a great product.. .you pay a bit more but I don't feel like they aren't a value. If your on a tighter budget, look at the CD1500, which is a 1500W (900watt @ 2-ohms) amp for about 900 bucks. For home use this will be a good choice, its a very nice amp for the money.

If there is another amp in specific you are interested in, let me know and I'll tell you if I have used it before.
Those are some good suggestions, thanks!

The sub is a new Tapped Horn model from Danley Labs. I'm getting the first one and the name is a work in progress but in-house they call it the TH-LPIS (Low Profile Infra Sub) or Couch Sub. It's 48"X45" but only 11' deep so ... the Couch Sub. It is purported to have more usable output than their monster DTS-20 (Tower of Power) using only two 8" drivers.

This is a leap of faith purchase as no one outside of Danley had heard this sub, but I did hear/feel the DTS-20 recently and was very impressed. That and the fact that they are a fine company know for their engineering prowess gives me great hope. :):cool:

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Those are some good suggestions, thanks!

The sub is a new Tapped Horn model from Danley Labs. I'm getting the first one and the name is a work in progress but in-house they call it the TH-LPIS (Low Profile Infra Sub) or Couch Sub. It's 48"X45" but only 11' deep so ... the Couch Sub. It is purported to have more usable output than their monster DTS-20 (Tower of Power) using only two 8" drivers.

This is a leap of faith purchase as no one outside of Danley had heard this sub, but I did hear/feel the DTS-20 recently and was very impressed. That and the fact that they are a fine company know for their engineering prowess gives me great hope. :):cool:

Danley makes really nice stuff, so, you'll get at least what you were told to expect.

You are going to have one hell of a home theater!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
As far as I know, the Yamaha units are not recommended for 2 ohm loads, even in stereo mode.

-Chris

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
As far as I know, the Yamaha units are not recommended for 2 ohm loads, even in stereo mode.

-Chris
P series can run 2-ohm, but they are warm. I wouldn't recommend it for that use.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

-Chris
doesn't that mean you can't use it for bridged mono at 4 ohms as well?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
More info from Danley Sound Labs regarding the Couch Sub. This sub was designed to act as a HT riser in the horizontal mode or, vertially it can be placed against a wall. I am going to be using the latter config.

A new approach to the tactile transducer:D:cool:

Pics

FR

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
doesn't that mean you can't use it for bridged mono at 4 ohms as well?
You should not use it bridged mono at 4 ohms. This is the same as running it 2 Ohms stereo. Actually, Yamaha makes no reference to using the amp on 2 Ohms except for a short burst dynamic power test. You can contact and verify the suggested minimum load for continous use to be sure; contact Yamaha and get connected to engineering department if possible for most accurate answers. But from what I read, they do not intend it to be used with 2 Ohm loads.

-Chris

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
More info from Danley Sound Labs regarding the Couch Sub. This sub was designed to act as a HT riser in the horizontal mode or, vertially it can be placed against a wall. I am going to be using the latter config.

I'de like to actually see that measured in a useful way such as the HT Shack Sub measurement method plotting actual SPL vs. distortion at a known distance in a free field equivalent environment.

-Chris

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai

Pics

FR

Awesome!

You should not use it bridged mono at 4 ohms. This is the same as running it 2 Ohms stereo. Actually, Yamaha makes no reference to using the amp on 2 Ohms except for a short burst dynamic power test. You can contact and verify the suggested minimum load for continous use to be sure. But from what I read, they do not intend it to be used with 2 Ohm loads.

-Chris
Unless I misunderstood him, I think he means power two 8s bridged (for 4-ohms).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis