Dali Ikon 5's or B&W 604 S3's what is a better speaker matched with a mcintosh mx132 pre-amp/ mcintosh MC7270?

CozmoCramer

CozmoCramer

Enthusiast
I'm trying to decide on getting a pair of B&W 604 S3's or Dali Ikon 5's to match match my Mcintosh mx132 pre-amp and Mcintosh MC7270 power amplifier. Any comparison experience between these two would be greatly appreciated.

CozmoCramer

CozmoCramer

Enthusiast
I understand it's more than enough for the Dali 5's but the b&w's dip down to 3ohms.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I understand it's more than enough for the Dali 5's but the b&w's dip down to 3ohms.
I think he means most people who use $14K electronics would not buy $2K/pr speakers.

As for which speaker is “better”, the Dali might have better objective on-axis and off-axis response. But what people prefer might be different since it is subjective.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
b&w's dip down to 3ohms.
...and tend to have a very uneven, colored frequency response.
There are better speakers for the money at both B&Ws 600 and 700 series.

Not familiar with the Ikons... but have usually heard good things about Dali in general.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I think he means most people who use $14K electronics would not buy $2K/pr speakers.
Absolutely

Hopefully the OP purchased used and only paid $1000 for the Mac gear. Otherwise it's a serious mismanagement or allocation of Funds

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"Match"? This similar to pairing fine wine with a meal? :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
"Match"? This similar to pairing fine wine with a meal? :)
Mmmm... A nice fat buttery and lightly oaked Chard with Fillet Mignon sauced with a dressing of Parsley, Thyme, Lemon zest, splash of juice, Shallot, Black Pepper and a kiss of microplaned Garlic in a fine EVO...

Tastes just like my Outlaws and Phil3s sound! Fat and luscious!!!

o_Oo_Oo_O

:p

:cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mmmm... A nice fat buttery and lightly oaked Chard with Fillet Mignon sauced with a dressing of Parsley, Thyme, Lemon zest, splash of juice, Shallot, Black Pepper and a kiss of microplaned Garlic in a fine EVO...

Tastes just like my Outlaws and Phil3s sound! Fat and luscious!!!

o_Oo_Oo_O

:p

:cool:
Dunno about chard with a nice steak....but that dressing sounds good

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno about chard with a nice steak....but that dressing sounds good
;)
Because the Filet is so lean, the Chardonnay can pair really well with it. Compared to a Rib Eye with all that fat where a big bold Red is needed to stand up to, and cut through, that luxurious mouthfeel.

One of the Somms I worked with wanted to do that pairing, so I said “sure, let’s try it”... After trying it, I was convinced!
:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
;)
Because the Filet is so lean, the Chardonnay can pair really well with it. Compared to a Rib Eye with all that fat where a big bold Red is needed to stand up to, and cut through, that luxurious mouthfeel.

One of the Somms I worked with wanted to do that pairing, so I said “sure, let’s try it”... After trying it, I was convinced!
:)
Then again I usually bypass the filet for the ribeye :)

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Welp, y'all chased off another one. What is the kill record now and who is in the lead?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
"Hey Wally. What does too rough on the beaver mean?" "Well, Beav, I think it's when you give a p#%sy a good pounding." "Oh, you mean like when you pet the cat too hard?" "Never mind Beaver, never mind."

CozmoCramer

CozmoCramer

Enthusiast

As for which speaker is “better”, the Dali might have better objective on-axis and off-axis response. But what people prefer might be different since it is subjective.

Never came back to this site to see the responses. Lol! I paid $500 for the Mcintosh 7270, & $200 for the MX132. I ended up getting Martin Logan Request Electrostat's, B&W 604 S3's, but downsized to some B&W 805 Nautilus for now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Never came back to this site to see the responses. Lol! I paid $500 for the Mcintosh 7270, & $200 for the MX132. I ended up getting Martin Logan Request Electrostat's, B&W 604 S3's, but downsized to some B&W 805 Nautilus for now.
Wow. You did awesome on the electronics. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis