Customer Suport Sony Style!!

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
I bought a new Sony Minidisc recording deck, and after looking at the technical specifications, I noticed the S/N ratio and THD were for playback only. There were absolutely no specifications for the analog input, except for:

Maximum input: 500mVrms
Minimum input: 125mVrms

Minimum input? What does that really mean? Does that mean anything below 125mVrms is not recorded?

Knowing the odds were against me, I decided to try calling Sony customer support. Hey, it could happen!

I got through the automated voice recognition menu system somewhat quickly and painlessly. But things went downhill quickly when I reached the first warm body. The accent sounded Indian to me, but before I could finish asking my question, the gentleman insisted in starting a claim number for me. Once he got my name and address, he asked for the model number of the MD. When his system showed him what it was, he appologized that I had been sent to the wrong department but that he could send me to the correct department.

"What department am I in?"

"This is Home Theatre. You need Audio. Please hold one moment and I will transfer you. Write down your claim number so you can give it to the next representative..."

The woman I got next had a thicker accent, and she had troubles pronouncing my first name Gregory. Definitely offshore. Ok, so I give her my claim number, and she pulls up the information, and then apologizes that I was transferred to the wrong department but she'd be happy to... yeah. again.

So now I'm in the third department, and I give my claim number to the new gentleman knowing full well that none of these bananas will be able to tell me anything that's not already on the spec sheet.

"Oh, I'm sorry sir, but this is wrong department. Please hold one moment and I'll transfer you-"

"Wait! This is the third time I'm being transferred. What department do you intend to transfer me to?"

"Audio."

"I just CAME from audio!!"

"Ok, sir; would you mind holding one moment?"

"No, don't bother," I said. "I'll tell you what, why don't you listen to this:"

click.

:cool:

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, that really sucks. I like how "Home Theater" and "Audio" are separate departments. Hmm... That really sounds like an experience some of my coworkers had with Sun Microsystems. We were trying to talk to somebody to find out what we needed for the machine (turned out to be a new motherboard) and ended up getting shuffled around 5 different times for a half hour. All overseas, too.

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
I can't stand it when people/companies fail to support the customer! It's the customer that pays their wages!

As some of you know, I am opening a HT store within the next year in the Pacific northwest and service after the sale is just as important as the sale itself, if not more!

Gregz, you're doing what you should, in my opinion...let the masses know what's going on so we can be prepared. Also, contact Sony corporate and let them know. They are the ones ultimately responsible for this and I know they want only good reports to spread.

The Sony Corporation of America
550 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis